PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
So I know that vulcanite does not like light or specifically, sunlight. That being said, I smoke almost exclusively outdoors where it’s often sunny.
I’m noticing that some of my stems are starting to turn even though I am pretty meticulous with my pipe cleaning and care regimen, making sure they are tucked away to rest out of the light when not in use.
Are there any daily tips or tricks after smoking a pipe w/vulcanite to keep these in quality condition? I only use obsidian oil when I deep clean, which is about 3 or 4 times a year. I’m looking for something easy that will help keep them from oxidizing. Thanks.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I wish I could help. I just wipe my vulcanite stems off after each smoke. It doesn't keep the oxidation down completely but it's better then not doing anything. I no longer buy pipes with vulcanite stems. I much prefer acrylic stems.

I don't think any oils prevents oxidation at all. I think that they mask the oxidation as it occurs. I use a polishing cloth used for jewelry to keep my stems wiped down after each smoke. The areas where my mouth touches it will oxidize first, and as the oxidation creeps down the stem over a long period of time, I will merely use my micromesh pads, starting at about 6000 and woking to 12000, so as to mot be too aggressive and remove as small amount of vulcanite as possible.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Are there any daily tips or tricks after smoking a pipe w/vulcanite to keep these in quality condition?
Don't expose them to much daylight.
I only use obsidian oil when I deep clean, which is about 3 or 4 times a year.
I leave Obsidian Oil on mine until I smoke them, and reapply after each smoke.

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
I use a food grade mineral oil after each smoke. Seems to help in slowing down the oxidation. I have tried obsidian over the years but it seems the miner oil works just as good.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I find that carmex lip balm (in the tube) works the best for me. I used to use obsidian oil but the stems would oxidize over time. I've applied carmex to pipes that I haven't smoked in over a year and the stems are still black, no oxidation.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I find that carmex lip balm (in the tube) works the best for me.

Ooh goodie. I new trick I haven’t tried. I’ll give Carmex a go. Otherwise I use obsidian after each smoke.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Great, thanks all. Sounds like Carmex is a pretty simple method for daily use. I may also try the obsidian oil after each smoke and letting it sit until the next time I use the pipe.
I guess for the stems that are already turning those shades of gray/green, I should invest in some micromesh pads!

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I apply a small bead about the size of a small grain of rice, coat the surface and leave it. It leaves the stem greasy so you have to remove it before smoking. I've applied it to pipe stems and have let them sit for over a year and when I wipe it of they are shiny black. I tried to do the same with obsidian oil but the stems oxidize/turn green over time.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Great tips and a few I hadn't tried yet !
I'm a big fan of vulcanite stems because of their feel in mouth and teeth. I have pipes with acrylic stems too, but the added care needed for vulcanite is worth it for me.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Toothpaste? As a cleaner? Any particular kind?
Is the idea to use the micromesh first, then toothpaste and thumb and finally obsidian oil?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't use micromesh. If not a Magic Eraser, I remove oxidation with a lighter and a wet paper towel, then Colgate whitening toothpaste and rinse, and lastly, the Obsidian Oil.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also use Obidisian after every smoke and my stems stay nice. Granted almost all of my vulcanite stems are made from top quality German vulcanite.
I do have a couple of pipes that have the older sulfur laden vulcanite and Obidisian doesn't work very well on those.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mineral oil. Seems to last quite a while, but I reapply after a thorough cleaning of a batch of pipes, so anywhere from a week or two to a couple of months between cleanings. They stay black until I scrub the stems with a mesh pad and let them air dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.