PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just took delivery of the Dagner MM cob poker. Someone warned me it was a small pipe, so I said I'd report back. I knew the pipe was short, per specifications, a nose-warmer, a little over four and a half inches from outer slightly-canted bowl to bit. But the bowl (also as promised) is medium sized and quite deep, with good thick walls. It has an acrylic stem and a nickel band and is a pleasingly little heft of corn cob pipe. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. It looks sound and as described, and I did not have the sensation of sinking heart for it's smallness -- it's short but with an ample bowl. I may post again on this thread to report on smoking, but MM cobs in general are doggedly dependable, so I'm not expecting any surprises with that. So if you are up with a cob, nose-warmer, poker, with classy little touches like an acrylic stem, hardwood shank, and nickel band, this one might be your choice. Remember, MM prices go up on October 1, so you might want to anticipate your cob pipe needs before then.
I ordered directly from the MM website link in red at the side of Forums.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I own six of these Dagner Cobs, and have gifted another six, I like these pipes so much. Great smokers and they are great for flakes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fish', thanks for all your great photos. I'm a tech fumbler, but here at least is a link:
http://corncobpipe.com/dagner-poker-cob.html

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I customized mine with a longer Forever Stem

Sorry to get off subject slightly, but where did you get your forever stems? Old log cabin? Can you get any that accept a medico paper filter?

MSO, I thought you said before you have some on other pipes that don't come with an upgraded bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bluegrass', I have one that still has the "stock" stem, but I tend to chew through those. I have a soft-bit on that. The others have Forever stems, the freehand has a Vuclanite, and the Dagner come with an acrylic stem. I smoked the three with Forever stems for a while with their plastic stems. And I have two Old Dominions with stock reed stems.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
MSO, I noticed yesterday that one of my cobs bit has a lot of teeth chatter, and I would like to replace it. And are they all non-filter?

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Sorry to get off subject slightly, but where did you get your forever stems? Old log cabin? Can you get any that accept a medico paper filter?
I received it from one of our friendly members but yes, originally it was from Old Log Cabin.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The Forever Stem is available for filters and straight through, you obviously could use a straight through one shank made for filters but you can't make one not made doe if,tees work with a filter stem unless you change the shank. I know Old Log Cabin was looking for a new distribution company for rods but don't know if they are back up and running making stems yet, you could pop them an email.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bluegrass, as fish' says, better check to see what Forever stems is doing now. When I bought mine, they were great acrylic stems that always made a pipe non-filter whether it was a filter or non-filter to begin with. At that time, they came in specific lengths but could be shortened to any specified length requested. For me, they elevated the whole cob smoking experience, which starts well with the stock stems, but is still improved with the acrylic (for me anyway). Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To follow up on my original post, I have now enjoyed my first bowl, PC's Log Cabin, in my Dagner MM cob. The bowl is as big as it looks and holds plenty of tobacco, a roomy medium sized bowl. I may not be fussy enough, but it didn't feel like I was breaking in the pipe, just a fine smoke. Although I have other short pipes, I wondered how this nose-warmer design would work for me, but it was good, no smoke in the eyes or excess sidestream smoke. If it performs like my other MM cobs, it will be durable and long-lived. Another nice feature of the pipe is the thick walled bowl. Cob is light weight, so you get the thick walls on the bowl without adding much weight. On the basis of the first bowl, I'd recommend this pipe. It fills a good niche in my herd of eight corn cob pipes, a fine little cooker with an ample bowl.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Thought I would revive this thread to declare my enjoyment of the Dagner Poker MM cob. It’s my first nose warmer, and I was worried about smoke in the face. The heat of the smoke was also a concern, even though I’ve read many discussions debunking the myth (and i can confirm from my experiences as well that the smoke doesn’t seem any hotter than a non-nose warmer).
Great write up MSO, and I completely concur on the recommendation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The stem is far too narrow for me to clench, but the bowl is deceptively large considering how small the pipe is. Easily an hour long smoke.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have one. It's the only cob I own...I really like it. I need to get more cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.