PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafterman

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2011
My dad smoked a pipe from the late sixties to the early eighties, Borkum Riff Bourbon Whisky in Dr. Grabows. He told me that the way he broke in a new Grabow was to fill half-way, light it and enjoy a few puffs, and then he'd hold it out the car window while going down the road. The air rushing into the bowl would burn the tobacco down and get the cake built up.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Doesn't sound like a good idea since half the purpose of breaking it in is to build a cake to protect the wood. By holding it out the car window it'll burn very fast and hot which in turn might hurt the wood until the pipe is broken in. :/
edit: grabows might have preapplied cake to protect the wood though, but I still don't think it's a good idea to burn the pipe that hot on purpose :P

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I used to do that too Paul, and it does build up a cake rather quick... but my last two pipes I've screwed in a paper towel after each smoke in order to get a more solid and smooth cake all around. I believe it was originally suggested here by cortez but I could be wrong... Anyway, I've tried it, and it really does work wonders. But it's awful slow. And as far as smoking to the bottom, I don't bother with that anymore either, I just smoke to where I want to smoke, and then dump. I've heard that should be enough because if you never plan on smoking down to the bottom each time post break-in, then there's no point to in building a cake all the way down there.
But I did used to do it JUST like you said... I just haven't my last two break-ins. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Lawrence and I hit on the paper towel thing at about the same time. Kevin OTOH advises not to use the paper towel method, but I don't know why. Russ Ouellette is responsible for the common sense about bottom-of-the-bowl cake.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Always there to set things right and credit where due, Cortez! Thanks!

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i imagine for centuries pipe smokers had to break in their pipes on horseback, until the automobile was invented.
but- why such a hurry to break in a pipe? if you smoke it, it'll get there.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I load and go. Cake pretty much takes care of itself, though I ream the things after a few smokes to keep it even.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i was always told to dampen the inside the the bowl slightly, then coat with some fine ash (cigar ash apparently works well, I guess pipe ash would too) then slowly smoke a few half-bowls first, making sure to smoke right down to the end..cake takes a while to build up and some briars break in much faster than others...just don't rush it

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
Old man Mr Charles down the road from me still uses the car window method.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I don't think a single one of my pipes is 'broken in' -- I don't worry or care about it to be honest, and my tobaccos always seem to taste awful by the time you get to the last 1/5th of the bowl and so I've never bothered smoking clear down.
My one expensive-ish pipe does have just enough cake I feel its safe but my word I think it took over 50 bowls to get that mm its got.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I consider a pipe "broken in" when you can smoke leisurely all the way to the bottom without smelling/tasting wood burning, which is what happens with a new pipe.
I do try to smoke to the bottom every time. Altho' there's little real "cake" in the heel, it does get charred somewhat and no more "burning wood" taste.
The reason the tobac in the heel tastes stronger is because you are burning up that smelly dottle instead of letting it soak into the briar, a trade-off I accept to avoid a soured pipe.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I never tried that method, but I know for sure I wouldn't break in any of my pipes with Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. :lol:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Doesn't sound like a good idea since half the purpose of breaking it in is to build a cake to protect the wood.
See, that's a common misconception. The purpose of a break in is to stress test for defective pipes. If you can't show the manufacturer a smoldering stem after one smoke, they won't replace the pipe. After showing Dr. Grabow 12 in a row, they bought me a Dunhill and told me to go away for good. Cool....free Dunhill.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I think the whole "breaking in" thing is overated. Just smoke it normally and let nature take it's course, and everything will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.