Cutter Top Tin of Rattray's Black Mallory (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I scored this cutter top tin from a friend across the pond. It appears, from the research that I was able to scour, that the tin is from the mid-30's to the mid-50's. Either way its very old and the tin was in freakishly great shape. The pictures tell the story.
Upon opening the tin, it hissed for a few magnificent seconds. I was greeted with a sourish/sweet smell, like a stewed chutney. I them smelled the tobacco and it definitely had that oddly sweet/sour smell. The moisture level was near perfect. Upon closer look, it really didn't take that much, I observed CRYSTALS. The entirety of the tobacco was covered in crystals.
I loaded up my trusty Modded Falcon with Meerschaum Bowl and I was off to the races.
This is listed as a Scottish Blend, but I gotta tell you in all honesty its probably the best smoke I've every had in my six year piping history. I'm smoking some in a Sasieni Pot as I type this and the sweet/sour note is there, but it is so enjoyable. I also definitely get the latakia, but it is way in the background, which how I prefer latakia these days.
Enough of my going on like a Chatty Kathy doll........

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Thanks for the pictures. The tobacco looks really good, and it sounds as if it tastes as good as it looks. :puffy:

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Bully for you for actually opening it! I see a lot of old tins that folks just cellar and stare at and never open. Sounds delicious and congratulations on the rare find! :clap:

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Some day I’ll enjoy some baccy like that. Thanks for the cool photos. Hope it brings many great smoking experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.