Custom 9mm Adapter or Just Smoke It As Is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a Kai Nielsen chubby billiard thingie that I've yet to smoke. I've had it for about 3 months, but it requires a 9mm filter or adapter. The problem is that the space for the filter (combined from stem and shank) is almost 2 inches long. This is longer than a conventional 9mm filter, no?
I'm wondering whether you folks who have 9mm filter pipes smoke them "as is" or whether you'd recommend getting a good adapter made. I'm afraid that if I don't get an adapter, I'm just going to end up with a Peterson-style "reverse calabash" a la the 80s bent bulldog. It has a perfectly drilled conical bowl that I want to use for flakes, but I'm afraid that leaving it without an adapter will lead to a really wet smoke. What would you do?
kai-n-2-600x282.jpg

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
Vauen makes a good adapter, I feel that smoking it "as is" will indeed produce a wet smoke, not to mention the draw might be way too loose. I don't have experience with smoking a 9mm filter pipe without a filter, but I know medicos just don't smoke as well without their 6mm filters.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, lumberjakpipester. I'll have to check out Vauen -- wasn't aware they made adapters. Thanks.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
The same question had me bothered so I have an experiment going using a new filter pipe, smoked with the 9mm filter, with an adapter or as-is. One tobacco, of course. A few weeks in, only the obvious seems confirmed: the more empty space in your pipe, the more condensation, wetness, and goo. That leaves you with the choice of either cleaning your plastic adapter or tossing a wet filter in the bin :wink:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have acouple 9mm pipes, in mine there seems to be alittle play in the space but it has never really been an issue.. i'd say throw a filter in and see how it smokes.

Another thought though would be go to craft store grab some balsa wood and make your own custom 9mm filter like the savinelli ones

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Another thought though would be go to craft store grab some balsa wood and make your own custom 9mm filter like the savinelli ones
Brilliant. I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years, but it sounds like fun to try. In the meantime, I've ordered both the Vauen adapter and a pack of filters. Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone. BTW, the Vauen adapter is much longer than I expected. It should fill the gap almost perfectly.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The Vauen adapter came today and it fits perfectly. Thanks again for the suggestion, lumberjakpipester. Looking forward to trying the pipe after waiting for so long. (Now, if it would stop snowing sideways...)
If you're looking for a Vauen 9mm adapter, I got it from TobaccoPipes.com ($4.99 and they ship quick):
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-tabak/

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
@pitchfork... I'm curious to hear how it smokes, and it was snowing sideways over here this morning! Happy spring!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
lumberjakpipester,
It quit snowing sideways (or otherwise) and I had a chance to try out the pipe. It smokes beautifully. I smoked some Best Brown Flake in it and it was fantastic. Great airflow (no trouble from the filter adapter), and the conical bowl really concentrates the flavors. I'd definitely buy another Kai Nielsen pipe if the price were right. (I snagged this one for about $50 on ebay -- unsmoked.)

Status
Not open for further replies.