Curious, You That Smoke Three, Four, And More A Day...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Do you dry all of that tobacco out first?
How do you know what you wanna smoke ahead of time? I mean, if you have x,y, and z, tobacco dried out. What do you do if your passion is suddenly for a, b, or c, tobacco?
I never saw my grandfather, or uncles dry their tobacco. They just dipped in, filled, and puffed away. And what about those old time loggers, civil war soldiers? I don't think they dried out their tobacco either.
I smoke maybe two bowls a day. So it's easy for me to decide what I want dried.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I think most of our pipe smoking grandfathers smoked codger burley blends. These didn't need any drying or fussing like the stuff many here smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our forefathers (and dads and uncles and such) jarred little or nothing. They worked out of pouches, and earlier cloth bags, and at home maybe amber jars with unsealed tops, so the tobacco had plenty of chance to dry. In fact, a lot of it was almost certainly smoked very dry. As such it was still considered a prized luxury. My dad smoked Granger from after breakfast until he went to bed. He said that first bowl of tobacco often lured him out of bed, although I think it was also the fried eggs, bacon and toast that he and my mom fixed virtually every day. He died at 89 licensed to drive without glasses. When I was a toddler, they drank "cowboy coffee," didn't even use a basket in the pot, just threw in the grounds with a few broken egg shells to make the grounds settle. He wasn't your typical Chicago financial district guy though he worked on LaSalle Street. A singular soul.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Many of us still enjoy codger burleys in part for that luxurious low maintenance enjoyment. Take some Prince Albert, mix it with a couple pinches of Five Brothers, stuff it in the least grubby pipe within reach, and you're enjoying a smoke within seconds not minutes...

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I live one block West of Lasalle. I can see the Stock Exchange, the Board of Trade, and the Federal Jail on Clark St. from my balcony.
It is an interesting view.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indiana: I smoke a lot of Pease and Std. Of PA blends, and often buy other stuff at my B+M. All those come in ready to smoke moisture. Sometimes a bit of drying is indicated, but if the bag is right, I just double bag it using thick plastic bags, sometimes mylar on the outside. I am also fine on using a microwave if what I "need" to smoke right away is too damp. I find re-hydrating easy using shards of pottery soaked in regular water.
Happy smoking!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Carter Hall is 99 percent of all my smokes. When I'm at home, I dry out a few bowls worth to smoke during the day. When I'm away with my leather tobacco pouch, I smoke it however it is. If I notice my smoke is wet, I'll stir the pouch a bit.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
As some who have received samples from me can attest, I prepare my baccy a tin at a time. If its a flake, it gets rubbed out, if its a rope, it gets cut, etc. I then leave it in a non sealed conatainer and shake up the contents now and again until it appears to be ready to smoke. After it is deemed ready, I place it into those rubber gasket sealed jars and its there when I want it, no drying needed.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I fill a pouch or a tin, maybe two, and head out. This morning I left the house with a bit of Balkan Supreme, a tin of the Horse, and I believe a tin of My Mixture in a camera bag. All I smoked was the Balkan. I smoke the pipe, the pipe doesn't smoke me. I'm apparently one of the few here who believe that tobaccos are shipped for sale ready to smoke. I neither burn the tongue nor suffer with many relights. The occasional gurgle is not a particularly earth shattering or life changing experience.
I've never thought of a pipe with ever building anticipation. One is always handy when I desire to smoke.
I do like to read about and wonder at the smokers who have turned the pipe and tobacco into a production. For me it is not a hobby or mystical experience. The pipe is one of life's wee pleasures.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I used to fuss with it. Cut it, rub it out, put it in a jar until it dried out a bit. Stir it very day or so. I smoke anywhere from 5 to 10 bowls a day, and I frankly don't have the time to screw with it anymore. I cut it, pack it and smoke it. Or just shred it with my bare hands and smoke if scissors aren't handy. I haven't done any bricks or ropes yet, but slices and the rest are easy. The only fussing I do now is to mix a couple blends on occasion if I feel it will improve matters. Nowadays it stays in the tin until its empty and time for another tin.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Depending on what day of the week it is and how many smoke breaks I can fit in at work, I smoke somewhere between 8 and 12 bowls a day.
Do you dry all of that tobacco out first?
Nope. I only dry the stuff that really needs drying. Irish Flake and FVF both gotta be dried. Blends that need drying that I smoke a lot of are pre-rubbed and slightly dried ahead of time and kept in small jars (JKP, Triple Play, Wessex Gold Brick).
I smoke a LOT of orlik golden sliced, Royal Yacht, luxury bullseye flake, luxury navy flake, escudo, Dunhill Flake, and DDNR. All of these smoke fine for me right out of the tin, no dry time necessary. Sometimes I'll let them dry a little just to get a little different taste, but not often.
When I want something that needs drying, I dry it ahead of time. Usually I'll lay it out when I get home from work and then smoke it after dinner. Works fine for me.
Many of us still enjoy codger burleys in part for that luxurious low maintenance enjoyment. Take some Prince Albert, mix it with a couple pinches of Five Brothers, stuff it in the least grubby pipe within reach, and you're enjoying a smoke within seconds not minutes..
I do this as well. Works great for those stressful days at work. Packs a punch and smokes great.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke alot of C&D, McClelland, and Mac Baren. No drying needed. I keep a jar of LBF in my work locker with a couple of cobs for rush days.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I tend to jar my open tins at just a bit more moist than ideal smoking for me. So when I'm smoking multiple bowls, I will usually pick my next blend and leave it out for the last 10-15 minutes while I finish the current bowl. Of course, many of my favorite blends are shipped at a proper smoking moisture

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
At home I was usually always smoking something. Even while working around the farm I'd have a pipe on me if it wasn't raining or really windy. Usually a cob, or sometimes a cigar. But I don't usually need to dry out my tobacco before hand, I tend to smoke it quite slowly so the heat from the burn dries it out a bit as I go. If I'm smoking anything with cherry flavoring (that always seems to be the most saturated for me) I'll let it dry out for a bit.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke 10+ bowls a day and mostly OTC blends. I've been smoking a pipe for almost 35 yrs and have never dried out the tobacco prior to smoking it. I leave the OTC blends in their original tubs and just fill the bowls from the tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.