PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunriseboy

Will someone bring me up to speed with what is, or isn't happening at CupOJoes. I've been endeavouring to keep on shopping there, but in the last few months the place has gone to the dogs.

So many of the products are now not available. Every third or fourth product is Out of Stock.

It appears, to me at least, there has been a change in management, and it shows!

Jan 8, 2013
I just finished looking at their site, and it seems to be they're rather well stocked on pipes. And no site has a never ending supply of either pipes or tobaccos, so if you're looking at a certain tobacco blend that's out of stock, it's because they sold out of what they had on hand. It's how it is in any retail business.

S

sunriseboy

I've been buying from them since the middle of last year. As I said, every third and fourth item is Out of Stock. This isn't just a matter of a "retail cycle". I'm not that naive that I'm squealing about a particular item not available, it is from one end of the site to the other. Generally when I'd ask for an item it would be som three or four weeks and it would be available again.
When I inquire it the usual "we're waiting for stock". It doesn't take five and six months to get McClelland, SG & C&D stuff back on the shelves. Very popular big sellers are very thin on the ground. When I buy stuff from 4noggins, it's a rare day something is unavailable. That's why I was curious.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
1st. Perfect response Warren. Always give someone the opportunity to correct something before you voice dissatisfaction to others. (not that this happened here)
2nd. For me, COJ has been the go-to online tobacco source in lieu of all the problems recently encountered @ P&C.
Just my $.02

S

sunriseboy

The responses here are a bit obtuse for this old guy. I said in my reply they just said we are getting it in etc. After three to five months things remain the same.

And I too really used to like dealing with COJs because their service and postal time to Oz was very good.

On one page alone there were something like ten or more tobaccos unavailable.
OK, just went back to COJs. Was chasing C&Ds Va. Ribbon. Out of 40 items on the page, 19 are Out of Stock. So I was very generous saying it was every third or fourth item not available.
I don't know if I"m permitted to include the link but won't to save my skin if it's against the rules but if you go to COJs and look on the C&D tinned and pouch tob's you can see what I'm indicating.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What people here are saying is that you should send them a pointed email outlining your concerns and suppositions, before you start suggesting here that they are going TU. Just copy and paste what you've already written here.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Anything I post as an answer will be purely conjecture on my part and not an answer to your concerns. Only a representative of the company can shed light on your concerns, should they wish to, the rest of us would just be guessing, hypothesizing, and/or fantasizing.
If you couch your post in terms of "what is your best/worst or, most inane" guess as to the causes of..." I might sit back and come up with all sorts of possible answers from, poor foresight/planningre inventory management to unpaid bills on the part of the vendor. I might also include a thought to supplier difficulties or the possibility that the owner/operator has "gone fishing."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's always good to do a little "reporting" before originating a post. Mostly I do, but sometimes I just express a curiosity if I've noticed something that seems unusual to me. It appears that others have not noticed this out-of-stock problem at COJ, which I guess is the answer to this post. Then wait and see if there is more to it. Of course, COJ used to be a sponsor, and now it isn't ... oops, I didn't check the roster just now, but I think that's true. Fair comment on the original post, and now let's wait and see. I've used COJ over the years and like their inventory and service. Like all of our sponsors, or former sponsors, they have some things not offered elsewhere, so I've enjoyed shopping with them.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
For what its worth I like CUp o JOes, just ordered a pipe from them in fact! I do believe its a smaller outfit and may not be able to stock in big quantities like SP or others. Just a thought.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Their house brand blends are good too, on the basis of the one or two I've tried; I'm not sure where they're sourced.

Jan 8, 2013
I do believe its a smaller outfit and may not be able to stock in big quantities like SP or others.
Cup O Joes is actually a brick & Mortar store called Queensbury Cigar And Pipe, as compared to Smoking Pipes which (correct me if I'm wrong) is more along the lines of a warehouse but with a storefront as well.

Jun 27, 2016
I've never had a problem with them, and they have been helpful in the past with changing orders over the phone, etc. I'm thinking that the same people are still there, and that they don't re-stock certain things as regularly as other places. They might be getting hit with higher floor-taxes or something.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I've always had great service from them. What you are looking for might not be their problem but rather one by a supplier. I've always found them responsive so send them an email as has been suggested.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Back to the original post, eh, the fortunes of small business. I'm thinking COJ will be around for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.