PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
12501628_1726732737571589_1904814409_n.jpg

I just got my first pipe with a Cumberland stem, this beautiful poker from OldSchoolPipes (the "secret" alias of a certain renowned pipe maker who happens to patron these forums). I absolutely love the pipe and want to cherish it well. I bought it with the intent of having it be my new hands-free/active smoker, so I'll probably be clenching it a good amount. Any particular tips on caring for Cumberland well? I don't know anything about how the material compares to normal Vulcanite in terms of hardness, oxidization potential, durability, etc. The safe bet is of course to use a rubber bit, but if there's anything else to know about stem care I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Well this is embarrassing... you're right! I just went back and re-read the product description and it is indeed acrylic. I just assumed it was Cumberland because of my limited knowledge. :oops:
In that case... any tips on acrylic care? :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Also, that pipe with its tall relatively narrow bowl would be a champ with Semois. Don't pack it down too tight. Better have a tall tamper. What a gorgeous pipe. I'm one of those who likes acrylic just fine, so no problem there.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I've read in several places that cumberland stems are made of vulcanite... Now I'm confused. Anyhow I own one Dunhill Chestnut with cumberland stem, of course I use a rubber bit on it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Dunhill started the Cumberland stem, and they were also known as "Brindle". They will oxidize, just not as quickly as black vulcanite. Mine get "dull" at the button end, but polish up nicely (same process as vulcanite)
That is a good looking Poker!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
If I recall correctly, Dunhill first used "brindle" stems on their "Cumberland" stamped pipes. Nowadays, just as we have come to call all facial tissue "Kleenex", we tend to call all brindle stems "Cumberland". The original Cumberland stems were black and dark red, and this was the common material for a long time. In recent years, the manufacturers of the material have developed a wide range of color combinations.
Yes, Cumberland or Brindle stems are a mixture of two different colors of vulcanite, and you should care for them just the same as you would vulcanite.
The stem on the pipe above is certainly acrylic. If you plan on clenching, be cautious, acrylic is a little more brittle than vulcanite/ebonite and Cumberland. Be sure not to clench in the back of your jaw, between your molars. These teeth are designed for crushing food by brute force, and there's much more pressure exerted than you might think!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
P.S.
Although, as the OP noted, the stem material on this pipe was correctly listed as acrylic, I have noticed a trend among new-ish pipemakers to incorrectly label any acrylic stem with multi-colored striations running though it "Cumberland", likely out of pure ignorance. If stem material is a big issue/deal breaker for you, make sure you educate yourself on the range of cumberland styles and colors. Some examples of many different stem materials can be found here: Vermont Freehand Rods

May 31, 2012
Great info Walt!
It's interesting how Dunhill "owns" the term, neat stuff methinks, kinda like how we say "xerox" for photocopiers and the Brits always liked to say "hoover" for vacuum-cleaner.
Before the Cumberland finish came out, most collectors would usually call 'em "bowling ball bits"...
http://yeoldebriars.com/dunhill009.html
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=71906
:puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
About half of my Weavers have cumberland stems, and I just give them a rub down with Obsidian Oil after each smoke and they are good to go. :wink:

Yeh, brindle would be more correct, like a stripped patterned dog is a brindled dog. It used to drive me crazy when people refered to non-Dunhills as Cumberlands, but now I just quietly look down my noses at them. Ha ha. Like how here in Alabama, every soda is called a Coke, even Mountain Dew or 7up. Waitresses will ask you when you order which kind of "Coke" you want. If you think that sounds backwoods-ish or redneck, then that's how I feel when I hear "Cumberland." :puffy:

May 31, 2012
I think brindle may be the term Ashton popularized,

I can't remember exactly if it was in prior use,

but yeah, I think "brindle" has a better ring to it too myself...
ps

I'm so glad that CoCola done won the war and we ain't callin' sodey waters Pepsi!
btw

that's my fave oldtimer term - "sodey water"

I love it when I hear folks still usin' that term

Status
Not open for further replies.