PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I got some Lane Crown Achievement Alternative from P&C and I love the taste and the way it smokes, however it has a pretty nasty room note. I was just wondering if any of you know of another blend with about the same taste that doesn't smell as bad when smoked?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
DaveinPa gave me some original Crown Achievement, wonderful stuff (10 yrs or so old?), no room note issues with that blend.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking CA since the early 1970's. I have about 1/2 lb left. I always emjoyed it and never worried about "room note". It is a special blend in that in it's day it wa the most expensive blend in the world. My last 1/2 lb cost $36.00. As a point of reference, when I was buying my favorite blend at Lane's store in NYC in the last '70's I was paying about $4.00/lb and Crown Achievement was $21.00/lb. Enjoy it for what it is and let us all hope that Lane brings it back.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
This alternative is wonderful smoking tobacco, a good robust full flavor, and I really like it. I was just wondering if there was anything else close to it. Oh well, I'll just smoke this outside, it's good enough to keep on hand that's for certain.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Working on bringing it back. Would appreciate a PM from anyone willing to part with a sample of the original.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Leonard W, thanks for taking care of your pipe smoking constituency here. I'm a big fan of the revived

Lane LL-7, and I'd be interested in this blend if it comes back, and some of your revivals of English blends

that you mentioned might be revived.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
dhizzy, CA was one of Lane's premier English blends that was discontinued years ago. At one time it was arguably one of the most expensive blends in the world. For more read the attachment.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=657

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Leonard, so glad to hear you are working on this. I can't wait to see it available.

Status
Not open for further replies.