CA3CAE5D-682E-4A85-B968-9F715973CA52-11094-000014E63F8F773C_zps299c2877.jpg
Took PMon out to water wife's flowers and 2

Dusters were finishing the local rice fields, 91 degs and 58 %

Humidty. Whew!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Brad, we've got to name you our Photographer-in-Chief, or some other worthy title. Your ability to spot the commonplace and turn it into art is truly beautiful.
Incidentally, I've been up in a biplane and it was magnificent! The wind, the open air--that was flying the way it used to be, and sitting inside a jetliner doesn't begin to compare. One is is true flying; the other is a greyhound bus that happens to go up in the air. BTW, the biplane I flew in was the very plane that George H. W. Bush took his solo flight in.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Thanks Eric but I'm just an old Cajun with IPHONE, the pilot is a schoolmate. He always buzzes the house when he's in the neighbor hood, First ride I had was when I was 8, what a thrill. Pilot landed on highway beside country store, bottle caps flying all over the place, they used them to pave around the gas pumps. Pilot turned around and shouted go get me a Six Pack. Unbuckled and jumped out, store owner almost got blasted out of his store when I opened the door. Got the Six Pack, jumped in, buckled up and away we went using the highway. As a runway. When we landed the pilot told my Grandfather that kid is gonna amount to something, he listens, little did he know how wrong he was. LOL

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Beautiful photo, Brad. You definitely have a gift.
I don't know if they crop dust up here in NH, but I think they do use the planes to drop pesticides on areas once the mosquitoes start spreading the Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE).

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Definitely a Grumman Ag Cat. Specifically, a G164B Ag Cat. Look at the lack of forward visibility the pilot has in his little taildragger. Absolutely some sweet flying :)
f6ec5b87-77f3-499b-ae4e-035cb987bc79_zps00155e4b.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Crop dusters Again
Scared me for a second there Bradley. Thought someone had followed me in line some place after the chili diner with Hot sauce I had yesterday! (It was BRUTAL the gas I had) :rofl: ...

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
My big brother flew a crop duster during the early 60s up in northeast South Dakota.

He joined a father son and nephew outfit.
I remember when he had a bad landing up around Winnipeg.

He hauled it back home and rebuilt it in dad's garage.

Business was good as people came to see the plane get put back together.

It was kinda cool when he took off down the county road.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@six: I believe they still use biplanes because they tend to be inexpensive, and with twice the lift, they can fly slower than a single wing without stalling. Plus, with the struts connecting the wings, you can make a sturdier plane with the same weight as a monoplane. The reason all planes aren't biplanes is the extra drag of the two wings, struts and wires reduces their top speed. They're perfect for crop dusting, which is why Bradley's Ag Cat was specifically made for it. Visibilty sucks though, which is another reason dusting is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.