Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm hanging out at the B&M, smoking my pipe and talking about my favorite topic, bulldog pipes, and this kid and his father comes into the shop. The kids is like 10 or 12 (I can't tell these days), and his dad starts showing him pipes and the kids is rattling off about Danish styles verses Italians, and how Petersons are all bunk. As an aside, kids can come into a tobacconist here. They just can't purchase tobacco.
The clerk asks them if they smoke pipes, because it was obvious that they didn't. The dad says that his son is an expert on all things pipes, and the kids is on all sorts of forums. That said, he may be reading this. I'll just point out that I was the old guy in the back room, ha ha. Anyways, because he may be reading this, I won't say that the kid had any social issues. But, lets just say that pipes and tobaccos were a "specialty" of knowledge for this kid. An expert.
The kid knew his latakias, Virginias, and goopy aromatics, and when he asked me what I was smoking, I told him, and he was amazed and asked me if I got tongue bite. Ha ha, I guess he had read quite a few reviews about Virginias.
The kid seemed to know by style whether a pipes was a Castello or a Dunhill. He was really smart. So, I asked him which forums he was on. I seemed to have taken the conversation outside of his realm of expertise. He was on forums, which one or who he was, he just really couldn't comprehend the questions, even when I tried to tell him that I was CosmicFolklore.
"Why don't you like Petersons?" "They're reported to be inferior in design that makes them gurgle, in drilling, and blah, blah, blah. It was verbatim stuff you hear on here.
"Is a Dunhill a good pipe?" "oh yes, they use only the best, blah blah blah" Copy and paste from half a dozen other conversations on here.
"What do you think about latakia?" "It is the major component in what is called English blends, Balkan, etc... It is spicy, and warm, with notes of campfire... blah blah blah."
It was disconcerting. The dad just raised his eyebrows at me, as if to ask me if I was convinced that his son had his facts straight. So, I asked, "and you say your son has never smoked a pipe?" "Nope." "Anyone in the family smoke?" "Nope." "Do you buy him pipes?" "Nope." Meanwhile the kid doesn't pay one bit of attention to me smoking, or anyone else smoking their pipes. It was all abstract knowledge.
I told his dad that this was creepy. He buckled an eyebrow at that. So, I explained that on a forum, we assume that everyone is a real pipe smoker, of age, and doing their own thing. How many ten year old cut and paste autistic kids are one here? I've occasionally entertained the idea that a movie star preparing for a role as a pipe smoker in a movie might take a look at this site. Leonardo before making Django or something. And, the idea that there could be a kid playing with us by creating a login and assuming to be an old codger, or a Starcat, or a Hodji, or something. Kid stuff to play with us. But, what if the most respected experts are really 10 year olds that have just read a bunch of stuff and have no concept of what smoking a pipe is really like? Who are all of these other forum members?
Needless to say, we all looked at each other after they left, pipe guys, owner, and cigar guys, and all said "Creepy" at the same time. More appropriately, we should have said, "unusual." It is cool that pipes are fascinating to a kid. It is also cool that he knows so much. I was impressed. But, it just left me with a weirdness creeping up my spine like spiders.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I used to work with autistiic kids and those with a form called asburgers tend to fixate like that. Their knowledge is very one deminsional and rarely experiential. I agree that I would be a little taken back by that encounter.

I met a guy once who was older, maybe in his 30's. He had stopped to look at my car tag. He was an expert on all of the numbers on license plates. Every state, everywhere. It was amazing. But, when I asked him what he did for a living, which I assumed was something to do with tags, I realized that the guy couldn't carry a conversation beyond his area of knowledge at all. Isn't the human brain amazing?

Oct 18, 2014
That is creepy. I didn't care about tobacco at all whenever I was ten years old. In fact, I hated it. Of all the things for a kid to get obsessively interested in, what would make them choose pipes? Just studying pipes as a hobby would be kind of boring I would think if you aren't actually experiencing smoking a pipe.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I dont know, pipe could be a cool thing to a kid. They come in a varity of shape, color, names. They can be divided by family or shape. They have history and storys to tell. Yes i think a kid can be interested in them. Even if only by knowladge and no prctice. One of my other hobbies is astronomy, and i remmember as a kid having a friend that also liked astronomy and he could give you numbers like distence to other stars, costalations names in latin and their main stars name etc. And he didnt look once through a telescope. So yea i do belive kids can be interested in pipes without smoking, like some kids know trains or plains.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
What's creepy is that his father would encourage such a thing at age 10, unless he is autistic and it's a way to interact with him. It's odd that he has this fixation but no desire to own or smoke a pipe.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
If the kid does have an autism spectrum issue it is something you can't control. If he went for pipes, that's what he went for. It's actually good his father is helping him. Still, awkward probably doesn't come close to describing the interaction. Good on you for engaging in his conversation, it is actually very good for him to socialize on his level about something that interests him.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most autistic young people I know are marginal for eventual employment, especially right now as we

slowly climb out of a recession. But a young guy I know through out of state family, who came to visit

a family cat my sister took in when the family's neighbors took an extreme dislike to the cat (he's a wonderful

cat) ...this boy has completed graduate work and will be employed with NASA. His narrow knowledge

apparently is highly useful, relating to mathematical physics, or something like that. The adopted child

of a friend is in his late teens and is still completing high school; I hope he can pick up an apprenticeship

somewhere because I don't think he can navigate more education. A little guy about ten marched up to

me and then marched in place at the grocery store the other day; he was immaculately groomed and dressed

as if for an advertising photo shoot, clothes, hair perfect, etc. But he didn't make eye contact nor say anything,

and then me marched up to me the same way in a different aisle. Autism is one of the great mysteries of

neuroscience, and why its incidence has increased at such a steep curve.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
What a strange thing for a kid to fixate on. I wonder how he got started on pipes? It sounds like aspergers for sure. My son was diagnosed recently with aspergers. He could tell you every thing about Pokemon. He is a math wiz at 8, good at chess, science, and animals of all sorts but is kind of robotic when it comes to social skills. I swear I worked with some engineers who were autistic! Boy were they smart sons of guns but very quirky fellows. There is a lot available to help kids these days who are on the autism spectrum. All of them I have met are very sweet kids.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
Well, look on the bright side. At least he fixated on pipes and not something else. Like Josef Stalin. Maybe he saw a picture of Stalin smoking a pipe and got fascinated by the pipe and not Stalin. That's a good thing.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Do you always find those that might have mental challenge creepy?

Not at all. What we DO find creepy are those who show up with a combative attitude and make a point of insulting others.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
Time to go make some popcorn! This thread ought to become entertaining shortly. I'm waiting for the Conelrad alert to sound any time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.