PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Being a veteran, I guess it would be accurate to say that I tend to like military "stuff." I'm sitting here looking at a jacketed .50 caliber military bullet, and I can't help but think that it could be shaped into a cool tamper. The base of the bullet is just the right diameter, and it already has a slightly concave surface. If the base was left, and the body of the bullet was machined away into a thin sfat, leaving just the pointed tip, it would be a great shape for a tamp.
Problem....lead center. Could this be dipped or coated in anything, like silver, nickle, copper, whatever so the lead wasn't an issue?
Cosmicfolklore... anybody...thoughts?
If it could be done, it would make a cool conversation piece.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
@ cosmic:
While I do have complete inert rounds, I was speaking only of the projectile itself. Could that be done?
I'd love to see some of his work!

Sure, I could shape any metal to that size and shape. All I have are 38's and 22's. I would want to see one in the size and shape that you would want first. I wouldn't suggest lead though. I have a recipe for making a pewter that would look a lot like lead, without all of the tasty lead-ness, ha ha.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
I guess having it actually made from a real round was the appealing part. I'll try to remember to send you one. Might be a cool experiment. Since copper is the standard jacket material, I suppose that would be the ideal choice.
Thanks for the quick response!
They are roughly a half inch in diameter, and maybe a little over two inches long. I'll measure one if I ever finish this bowl I'm smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cosmic's right, don't get lead involved in smoking. It's a strong neurotoxin and will really mess you up. When

I was a kid, my dad used to melt lead on the stove in the kitchen and pour it into old musket bullet molds.

No wonder I wasn't good at math. Ha-ha -- but maybe true. One of the U.S. ambassadors to Italy lived in

the embassy where there was a lead ceiling (I think it was) that dusted down on her food, and she became

quite ill. She survived, but it didn't improve her health. Some attribute the fall of the Roman Empire to their

use of lead in their water systems.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Here you go Ranger. This would be a little safer to make a tamper from. Solid brass machined .50 cal brass competition grade projectiles. I remembered a buddy loading these for his Barrett. More costly, but no lead to worry about.

B
http://www.tenxbullets.com/

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Some attribute the fall of the Roman Empire to their

use of lead in their water systems.
Nope, it was from their sudden and inexplicable addiction to smoking Lakeland blend tobacco.

They should have simply stayed out of Britain.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
No problem Ranger. Thanks for your service. I would like to see this tamper when you finish it. Sounds like a neat idea.

B

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Something like this?

tom-douglas-brass-tampers-2012-08-29-001-1280x960-600x376.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.