PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

medatitus

Lurker
Feb 11, 2015
Hey folks, I smoked my pipe about 10 days in a row, just one bowl or less a day and a few cigars along the way.

After day 10 I noticed that I was craving it so I decided to stop, that was four days ago. On day one I went through really intense cravings and now on day four they have died down but they're still subtlely there. I'was inhaling on or two puffs and retro-haling frequently.

Have you experienced this? I'm not looking to get a new addiction so I stopped as soon as cravings came, but I'm hoping to go back to it as soon as tomorrow and hopefully cravings dont return. Any experience would be appreciated. Peace.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't inhale or retrohale. I've never experienced withdrawals. Even when I have to put the pipe away for a week or two until I'm over a cold I don't get the shakes or headaches or anything like that.
I do crave blends from time to time. Usually when I'm getting close to finishing off a tin of a new blend I get a craving for my go to, 1Q.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I smoke nic heavy blends all the time and get a craving for a pipe about 3-4 times a day. When I get such a craving I satisfy it with a nice pipe filled with tobacco and the craving goes away almost as soon as I set fire to the leaf. Try that and see if it doesn't douse that craving problem you are experiencing. (-;

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I crave the relaxation and experience it brings. I've had. To go cold turkey a few to es for up to 6 months and had no chemical/ nicotine withdrawal. I don't inhale though.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I have had to stop smoking for extended periods of time or even just a few days due to work or military. I never felt the NEED to smoke, but smoking is a time I set aside for myself to relax after a long day. I find that sense of comfort a pipe brings addicting as well as collecting pipes and tobacco. I do not inhale, I do retrohale.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nicotine addiction is fed through absorption via the mucus membranes in the mouth and nose. Inhaling simply gets it into the lungs for absorption. IV feeding would be my delivery system of choice but, as that's not an option, I use the pipe, cigar and cigarette. The pipe is very efficient for feeding my addiction to nicotine.
In my younger days on the flight-line I was reduced to "Red Man" for my nicotine.
It's all good!

medatitus

Lurker
Feb 11, 2015
Thanks for your guys input!
Yeah I like the pipe, and have smoked before without the nic cravings. I think I just need to be careful on how much I smoke. So I'm going to take a month off, beat the cravings and come back to it in a more controlled manner.

Thanks again!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I'm not sure a lot is known about this, and whether it is a body thing, a mind thing, a mind-body thing or

exactly how it works. When I am not able to smoke my one or two bowls a day, I am not aware of it depressing my

mood or making me nervous or anxious. When I have a cold or other bug, or dental work, I seem to tolerate the lack

of pipe smoking. On the other hand, sometimes I will decide the night before, or when I wake up, that I'll skip the

pipe for today, and later contradict myself, which raises questions of self-governance and how that interacts with

tobacco. I don't smoke for nicotine. I seem to enjoy low or no nicotine blends, and sometimes prefer them. Sometimes

I enjoy going without smoking, for a certain kind of clarity of mind. Genetics? My dad chain smoked pipes and cigars

(one or the other, usually not both) from age 15 to 65 when he quit cold turkey. My mom liked the drama of smoking

cigarettes, but every pack she ever bought went stale around the house; she just lacked the genetics to get hooked.

It's an interesting question, and I don't think it is settled. I am addicted to cats, but that's another story. The family

refers to me as a cat magnet.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Being terribly addicted to cigarettes, I could only wish that I was lucky enough to just be addicted to my pipes instead!

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
I only smoke about two times a month (at least that's the plan so far). I do notice a slight withdrawal, but I think that's mainly due to the fact that smoking is new to me. I never smoked cigarettes or cigars, I just wanted to smoke a pipe on occasion.
I'be noticed the same thing you noticed. I crave it pretty bad a day or two after I smoke, but in a week, it's like I never smoked.
Now, I get urges to do it from time to time, but nothing unmanageable. I just see that i'be got a free day coming up or an unexpected batch of time on my hands, so I light up a bowl and relax.
I enjoy the pipe. I don't feel addicted. If enjoying something and wanting to do it again qualifies as an addiction, than I guess i'm addicted to Cribbage too.

I remember back when I would wake up on a cold snowy morning, when I didn't have anything to do that day, and realize that I was out of cigarettes. My addiction would force me out of my warm snug bed and make me walk to the store in brutal weather, spend the last of my money on cigarettes instead of food. That monkey is no longer on my back.
Pipes aren't that much of a bully, but it is tobacco, which is very addictive, more so than heroine. I am honest with myself. I am addicted to my pipes. But, I ain't walking to the store or getting out of bed to smoke. I can at least wait for the coffee to brew before firing up. I can even go a few days and I have gone a week without smoking, but eventually Lady Nicotine calls for me. And, I come willingly.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Cosmic...The story of my life with tobacco is very similar. Many times I made a trip down the road in the middle of the night to get a pack of cigs. Now, I can surprise myself, and realize some evenings that I haven't had a bowl all day. Other days, I'd rather have a bowl before anything else in the morning. Life is good!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I always desire a smoke, I never crave one but I am a low Nic smoker in general and wasn't on cigs before the pipe. Fallon for the win, answer wise though.

Status
Not open for further replies.