PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
I've seen a few bamboo shaft estate pipes with small cracks parallel to the circumference of the bamboo. I'm guessing they're from the bamboo drying out, instead of stress cracks. Do these cracks affect the function of the pipe? Do they affect value?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
They don't effect smoking qualities. Some bamboo naturally has these and some makers like to stain the bamboo dark. It can effect resale value depending on the buyer. Generally speaking, I'd have no issues with them.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Being a natural product, that's pretty typical of bamboo. As long as they don't go all the way through to the draft hole, you should be okay. To check for an air leak, plug the bowl with something (your thumb, a cork) and blow into the pipe. If there's an air leak from one of the cracks, you should be able to feel it with a finger, and maybe even hear it.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
"I read where circumference cracks are not to be worried with, horizontal cracks yes."

Absolutely right Bradly. That is only the skin of the bamboo. The fiberous tubuels under it run in the opposite direction,there's where it's strength lies. I rather like old bamboo that has aged well and taken on this look.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I hope this pic is sized properly. You are talking about these kind of cracks,as in the top shot:
08011101030_zps571e3aef.jpg

Love me some aged bamboo like this.

Dan

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Babalooie,

To answer your original question,it's purely aesthetics. It does not affect the funtioning of the pipe.

Dan

ming

Lurker
Aug 9, 2014
bluesmk has posted a perfect photo. I find that cracks like that add character to a pipe. When I go through my pile of bamboo looking for the right piece to make a tamper I sometimes am even looking for some of those cracks to be present to add visual interest. It's obviously not a functional issue with a tamper, but, I have also never found it to be one with a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.