PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I'm in the middle of NOWHERE visiting in laws. I'm in green country Oklahoma and 40 minutes from the nearest town. My internet has been spotty, but I want to post while I have it!
I loaded up my 2 cobs with Golden Burley and sat on the porch in a rocking chair, no phone, no tv, in the dark. Best hour and a half of puffing in my life. I was surrounded by the sounds of bullfrogs, a babbling creek, owls and coyotes in the distance, no bears, all though my uncle in law tells me he sees them all the time. Great evening.
Side note: I went to a smoke shop in Muskogee today. They had 6 pipes, 4 types of tobacco, and 1,342,731 dildos. Yes dildos. Great first outing with my brother in law...

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
All the pipes were bought by men. Which then indirectly created a market demand to kill time in the bedroom while the men out on the porch in blissful quiet wondering where the bears have gone to.
Not everyone in the county would say they are happier. Just less frustrated. A little.
But what a setting. That's where I'd smoke a pipe, too. Awesome.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I live in the country and love it. Pipe smoking is great and very relaxing surrounded by nature.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I refuse to say I live in the "country." "Semi-rural" is what I call it, since we can get cable/Internet -- and pizza delivery! -- but have a well/septic system.
Can't say I love it. I'm a city/suburbs guy. We've been here 20 years, and it's still not "home." I'd much rather be back in suburban Chicago -- or in Manhattan or Nashville or San Diego.
So why are we here? We're near my wife's family -- with whom we're very close -- and my wife loves her job (and she's the stable breadwinner, since I'm a freelance writer). If it weren't for those two things, I'd move in a heartbeat.
Bob

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Agreed Mr. Bittner! I'm a Detroit boy originally, and while I do enjoy the great outdoors I need city life to feel alive. I have a different opinion on cities vs nature than most. I feel that nature is supposed to be beautiful because it was created by some higher power, while cities were built by us mere mortals, so we had to work a little harder to make them as impressive as they are, so when we found a city that has a great deal of majesty and appeal to it, it's really a home run for us humans and should be enjoyed...

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I was a city boy, but moved to work at a University in a very rural, small town. I get my internet via satellite (mega-sucky) and no pizza delivery. I have to scan for moose before I go to my car in the driveway and have a coyote rifle ready to pop the ones that think it's ok to hang out close to the house (only one thus far, which is fine as I know I am the encroacher). We may move back to a city depending on where life takes us, but this is home for now and I'm definitely comfortable here. The pipe smoking moments can be magnificent.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Man, that sounds nice... Wish I lived further away from town.
I thought smoke shops were supposed to sell bongs, not dongs...

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm a country boy - I can't stand feeling closed in. If I want to pee off the back porch, I do, then I listen to my wife's lecture about "that's dirty".
The best time of an evening is being able to sit on the porch and smoke my pipe. I love listening to the "quiet".

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have a beach place on the Eastern Shore of Virginia (for those who are geographically challenged that is part of that thin spit of land on the eastern side of the Chesapeake Bay call the Del-mar-va peninsula - as in Delaware-Maryland-Virginia). My daughter calls it a "shack" and I call it a "beach house" differentiated by the degree of "rustic" that you think it is. But it is in the middle of nowhere, has little to no cellular phone connection, NO internet unless you set up a spotty hot-spot with the cell phone, and far enough from Norfolk that there is no antenna reception. Oh, yes, no cable either.
So the time that the wife and I go there it is to get away from civilization. Perfect for sitting on the screening porch and watching the sun set over the Bay. Very special for the pipe and the mind.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Krizzose: I split my time btwn warren and grosse pointe... My wife and I are actually looking at a place in ferndale. I've been trying to go home for years and the stars might actually align this time...

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
@plateauguy - I'm listening to that same "quiet" right now. Frogs are croaking and peeping on the now-unfrozen pond, 4 deer just ran through the yard, there's an owl and coyote in the distance, and some geese just landed on the pond for the night. It's amazing how noisy the "quiet of the country" is. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.
And when you throw your favorite pipe and tobacco in the mix, all of today's troubles just seem to be gone for awhile. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.