Could someone explain to me please what Golden Cavendish is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I am a new smoker and picked up a really nice blend at my local B&M. It is very good. However the label states it is a mix of golden Cavendish with a mix of fire-cured but nothing more. When I asked them what it was comprised of they wouldn't tell me. That's cool, I understand.

I have read a lot of definitions in the last little while and my understanding is that Cavendish is a process, not a tobacco, but it seems to be a very broad word. Kind of like saying, "I smoke tobacco."

Just curious if anyone cound shed some light on the various colors of Cavendish.

I've done Google searches but still nothing that really says what 'Golden Cavendish is."

Thanks in advance for any advice or clarification.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It is indeed a process. Pressing or adding sweeteners to a leaf, usually (only?) Virginia or Burley. I believe "Golden" is the Dutch style. Could be very wrong on that, might be the American or British or; only Burley or Virginia. I believe there are other styles that are also referred to as Cavindish.
Have you tried the search function on this site? I would but, I have no interest in the whys and wheres and hows, only the taste of the incinerated blend. Besides, I don't want to interfere with the the joy of the chase you are no doubt experiencing..

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Cavendish is made up of either Virginia or Burley tobacco.
IIRC, golden cavendish is not toasted whereas black cavendish gets toasted which caramelizes the sugars.
Edit: Here is a cool post that mentions different tobaccos and curing methids. It briefly covers Cavendish.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's my understanding, stickframer.
In the pipe, you're going to get a mild, sweetened, vanilla flavored tobacco that is fairly moist. It will certainly smell nice.
On a side note, from the way it's described on the label, it's almost certainly Lane Limited's 1Q, a very popular blend.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Usually, if it's referred to as a golden Cavendish, it's made of bright Virginia. Lane's MV-1000 is a good example. I agree with pitchfork, based on the description, that blend is most likely Lane's 1-Q, a combination of a Virginia Cavendish and black Cavendish.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.