Could intense/hot smoking lead to burnout?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Or is this a myth?
It seems that the guy in this video burnt out his pipe from smoking it like a freight train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEZGYHDtSM
I'd like to know if this is actually possible.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can absolutely ruin a pipe by hot and intense smoking. Too much heat and moisture over time will lead to cracking of the chamber walls, which in turn can lead to a burnout. Besides, too hot and fast smoking results in poor flavors from the tobacco. Crappy smokes and a dead pipe.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
probably used jet torch lighter. cracked few pipes on the bottom of bowl smoking hot and try to light left over tobacco. but damage is nowhere close to the pipe on the youtube. i can still smoke from my pipes and cracks are not spreading since i slowed down.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@bullet08 I feel you, mate.
I have a beautiful Savinelli (which is still gorgeous) but it is very beaten up. The inside of the chamber was "eaten", probably just me trying to relight leftover tobacco which was already ashes. And the hot smoking has helped devastate the chamber. There is a glued crack on the shank too. And initially I thought "It's only a scorched rim... it will survive..."
Well, it survived. Still smokes like a champ, despite the LARGE chamber and the tenon that acquires a lot of moisture after each smoke and has to be thoroughly cleaned... A great smoker anyways. A champion who survived all of my newbie shitstorm.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Look at the top. It is completely charred.
The chamber top doesn't appear to be badly out of round. More likely tar and nicotine build-up. That can be cleaned. The lower portion of the chamber would require some heavy maintenance to be repaired if it hadn't been bisected.
Video Image
20190112_014656.png

Estate Restoration
20190109_174408.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
Yes. In the 1950s I bought a new Charatan from Lane Ltd. I was a high school student who supported his pipe habit with great difficulty. They had a no burnout guarantee. I hated the pipe which smoked lousy. I puffed wildly numerous times until the pipe, a big thick one, burned out. They replaced it.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Love Missouri Meerschaum, but their hardwoods are the most susceptible pipe to burnout I've smoked. I do smoke hot, plus in this case smoked a Virginia, in the wind, when it was cold outside so I was in a hurry.

AYiZ6V5.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From the video up top. Bullshit for the most part. You don't need to 'break in' a new pipe. Burn out has nothing to do with rest nor smoking 8 bowls a day. Nothing to do with clenching. It has everything to do with abuse.
This what happens if you don't break in a new pipe, You hot pipe it, You clench the crud out of the stem, don't let it rest. :/ Briar is a natural material and you need to break in a new pipe and build a protective layer of carbon. Let them rest and don't smoke 8 bowls a day like a furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.