PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Once in a blue moon I review tobacco's for the forum. Recently I was gifted by a very generous forum member a 'twist' of Cotton Boll. It comes in a cellophane package and is a soft light brown tobacco tied in the traditional manner which can be chewed as well as smoked. I am known to chew and initially I cut off a one inch length and chewed it. It has what I can only describe as a very pleasant flavor that is not loaded with artificial flavors or sweeteners and even with spitting you can feel the nicotine in the pit of your stomach. I reasonable one inch length is very satisfying and certainly continues to deliver for about thirty minutes and you have no need to dip for at least an hour or so. I had read reviews by others who described the stuff as evil but on the whole if chewing is your thing then this is most certainly something you should consider trying.
When it comes to smoking this tobacco this an altogether different matter. I prepared the twist by cutting into very fine slices and rubbing it out. Due to the moisture content I decided to let the tobacco sit for at least an hour to dry out but made sure it was still springy to the touch. I used a 4 1/2 inch meerschaum 'cutty' which has a smaller bowl that is comparable in size to a clay pipe. After packing the pipe I gave the tobacco a charring flame and gently tamped down and applied a second flame which resulted in an even burning bowl. The smoke is quite thick and the flavor is very dense with the ash turning a steel grey color. After a few puffs I was struck by the incredible nicotine yield of the tobacco,very pleasant but for the inexperienced I would image it could be quite daunting and result in ni-cups, sweats etc. Half way through the bowl even I noticed that the stuff is most certainly what I would describe as a stout smoke as I developed ni-cups but the flavors are very intense. I put the pipe down to run some errands and upon my return I noticed that the room note was not at all unpleasant and was very reminiscent of brown boogie. I was impressed that the tobacco burnt all the way to the bottom leaving only fine ash so that knocking out the pipe did not require a pipe tool.
Did I like it? On the whole I did enjoy it and found it to be an excellent smoke. Would I smoke it everyday? Most certainly not but I would recommend everyone who like strong ropes to try the stuff but probably it is best smoked on a full stomach.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whew. Sounds like a heavy duty nic trip. Not sure I'll be scouring the net for this, but it's good info.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You've got lots of firsts in this forum. I wouldn't worry about it. The question is who is going to be the first to review a Cosmic Twist?

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have been trying different twist and i like them a lot . I found Cotton boll twist on Amazon . I should have it by tomorrow :puffpipe:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Right, that's where I read about the Cosmic Twist. Now that it's made the bigtime with a woodsroad(tm) review, time to get it into some of these magazines...

I just did a search for Cotton Boll Twist on Amazon, and this was all I came up with...

cotton-ball-garland.jpg

Are you sure you didn't order decorative raw cotton? Maybe Cotton Boll Twist is just banned in Alabama for some reason, which would be weird, because we don't have any smoking laws or restrictions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.