PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I liked this one quite a bit. If you enjoy mellow Va/Pers, this one beats out Escudo for me, but I was never a fan of that blend:
Summary: a spectrum of Virginias mixed with Perique, this blend in theory approximates "Escudo"but in reality exceeds it.
Mixing summery Red Virginia with earthy and sweet Cavendish produces a base upon which Perique appears as not so much fruity as tangy with slight spice. Unlike "Escudo," the blend upon which "Exclusive" is rumored to be based, the Virginias take a broad middle spectrum that is not too sweet, avoiding the "breakfast cereal effect" of sweet Virginias with Perique. Instead, this is an Indian Summer blend, capturing the last fullness of the harvest season before fall, with a malted grain and fermented hay flavor that is full, gentle and yet appealing.
Thanks to former PipesMagazine forum member "misterlowercase" for this sample.
The one real advantage that Escudo has is that it is drier and in flake form, so burns more easily and more densely. Exclusive is mildly moist, about the level of Carter Hall or Prince Albert, but somehow produces a wet smoke much like other Va/Pers have done. However, it is quite enjoyable and I will be a bit downcast when this sample runs out.

rnewcombe

Lurker
May 15, 2009
I really like this blend for a change of pace. Nineteen bowls out of 20 for me are English (i.e., with Latakia) and the 20th bowl will be C&D's Exclusive. It tastes sweet and tangy to me. I have tried various forms of Escudo but this is the only version that I really like.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
To those who have tried both: how does this compare to Bayou Morning? I go through lots of Bayou Morning but might look at buying some of this to change things up a little.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Great review! I've wanted to try this because of the 50% perique. Glad to see someone who's not afraid to challenge the unquestioned sacredness of Escudo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.