PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I ordered a pipe from smokingpipes and needed a bit more cost to get the free shipping. I like Prince Albert, and wanted to try a Burley blend that isn't on OTC brand. So I got 2 ounces of Cornell & Diehl Bulk: Big 'n' Burley. It didn't cost any more than PA here in town. I can't imagine it tasting worse and expect it to be better. Any opinions on this as my first non-OTC Burley? I see its components are Burley, Latakia, Orientals, and Perique, so maybe it's not exactly Burley, per se. But is PA pure Burley?

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I would take it over any OTC. I found it to be pretty strong medicine too, so would suggest taking your time with it the first bowl or two.
Good full flavored smoke though. I keep some on hand, but it isn't really an all day smoke for me so only comes out from time to time.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Maxx ... I just jarred up a pound of the stuff. Love it! :puffy:
It may list other tobaccos but BN'B is all about the Burley ... start to finish.
There is a sweetness when sipped really slowly that can become almost like a cigar when pushed ... not in a bad way.
As beastkhk mentioned, it does have a pretty good kick but just depends upon your tolerance.
I can smoke a couple of bowls with black coffee before eating breakfast but wouldn't recommend it! :)
Edit: If you like BN'B also try Old Joe Krantz ... a little Virginia and Perique tossed in.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
If you're looking for a step up from OTC burleys then Big N Burley is definitely NOT the way to go. I'm not surprised you didn't like it. BNB is a leap away from PA. I haven't yet found a C&D I'd call an American style OTC equivalent. Don't get me wrong. They're all good but are not in the same genre as PA. I'd recommend you get some Izmir Turkish to try. Overall, it's similar to the OTC burley blends but it's less sweet and more nutty with a little bit of a spiciness to it. I love it! And it's cheaper than the codgers to boot! About $22 per pound.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My favorite Burley-based blends from C&D so far:
Big N' Burley (Primarily sweet, rough cut Burley with small amounts of Latakia, Perique and Turkish added for flavor)

Old Joe Krantz (Ribbon and coarse cut burleys, perique and red Virginia)
And I like better than both of those a Va/Bur/Per, Three Friars (a combination of Virginia ribbon, Brown Virginia, Burley and Perique)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm finding that the Cornell and Diehl blends have some strength in them, no matter the blend I try, often having a cigar like flavor near the heel. They're typically rich and smooth, and very tasty.

For another otc, try one of the various Edgeworth matches...I've only tried the Sutliff, but if the others taste like that, they're all keepers.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've tried PA and CH, CH is the only OTC I will waste my time on, but C&D burley blends rock. Trying hard to stay away from burley blends when I started smoking a pipe, gravitating toward english and vapers, I thought I'd try GL Pease Barbary Coast. I never thought burley could be so good. Moving on to C&D Old Joe Krantz I realized what I'd been missing out on. I've been eye balling C&D Big 'N' Burley, let us know what you think about it.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Big N Burley is one of my go to's when I crave that straight up, high quality burley flavor. I'm very partial to C&D blends in general and I picked that one up on one of online bulk sales just out of curiosity. Absolutely loved it! A bowl of that with a good cup of black coffee in the morning will definitely get the blood flowing :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Big 'n Burley when I'm in the mood for a strong blend that is mainly burley in taste. Burley is tricky, despite it's universal use in OTC blends and aromatics everywhere. Some people can't taste it. Some people taste it and find it revolting. Burley lovers taste it and like it in most of its forms, and usually without any non-tobacco flavoring. I think there are a number of pipe smokers who like some burley blends but others not at all. So it is tricky. If you are somewhat a universal burley lover, then you'll like most of it, especially non-aromatic blends including it, if the other tobaccos are right. If you find burley problematical, go slow, because it makes some people throw up.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I enjoy burley so, but something about C&D burley so doesn't agree with me. From first light I get a very ashy, unpleasant taste. BnB seemed to be the worse. Maybe a mouth chemistry thing. For comparison, I love Solani Aged Burley Flake.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Sorry MAXX I misread your OP. I thought you'd already tried it and 'couldn't imagine something tasting worse'. Brainfart. I hope it lives up to your expectations but it's a completely different animal than PA. Still recommend the Izmir Turkish for a PA alternative.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
The order arrived today. I smoked the tobacco first in a Peterson Billiard, then in the Savinelli 611KS Bent Dublin that came with the order. My first impression of the taste was "cigar" then "cigarette", with a touch of Nightcap. I think adding some NC to this would enhance the flavor. It seemed to taste milder in the new Savinelli, and I'm on my second bowl now in that pipe. The Peterson is one of my "any tobacco" pipes, so that may have affected the flavor. If there is a lot of nicotine in this blend, it's not enough where it hits me. Three bowls one after the other has no noticeable effect. I agree with others that this doesn't taste like Prince Albert and I like it more than that. The 2 ounces filled a pint Ball jar, where a tin of other tobaccos only take up half a jar. Either they sent me more than 2 ounces or it weighs less per volume. It burns to a fluffy ash. It's slightly sweet;, and now that I've smoked a few bowls, I'm not reminded of cigarettes or cigars as much. There's still a hint of a mild cigar, though. I like it and would recommend it over an OTC blend. Next, I'll try it with a pinch of Nightcap mixed in. I'll use my Peterson B5 Bent Bulldog for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.