PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
looking at Missouri corn cob site & wonder if a filtered is better smoked without the filter - any difference ?
anyone smoked the hardwoods - i expect the interior of the bowl is corn cob ?
i have one mm not anything special so thought to order some hardwoods our local pipe store has only the one type no hardwoods.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I have not tried the hardwoods but I do have quite a few of the filtered varieties. I do not like the filter in mine so I take it out and replace it with another stem ( that does not use a filter). If I do not have another stem handy I put a 2 inch piece of a pipe cleaner in it. Without the filter there is way too much draw for my liking. There are others though that like the draw that is created by taking out the filter.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
MM pipes smoke fine without the filter. The draw is wide open, but that's never been a problem for me. They do make a handful of pipes that don't take a filter like the Patriot and Morgan. Smaller pipes like the Eaton, Mizzou, Huck Finn, and Tom Sawyer don't take a filter either.
There are other stems like the stem from the MM Freehand, and the Forever stems that will convert a filtered MM to be non-filtered.
The MM hardwood pipes come in two different types The Ozark Mountain series which are made of birch, and the larger sizes like the hardwood versions of the Spool, Diplomat, and Country Gentleman which are made of maple. Both are solid wood, with no corncob parts. I've owned pipes from both series, and they have been great smokers once they've broken in a bit, and started to form some cake.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I smoke my MM pipes without the filter but wasn't a fan of the open draw. To correct it I fitted a tube from the tenon through the shank and into the bowl. Smokes alot better now and they are easier to pass a cleaner.
I've only smoked the Maple hardwoods and I consider them excellent pipes once broken in. As with all MM pipes the worst past of the break in is charring the birch shank that protrudes into the bowl. Just my 2¢.
20140705_165530.jpg

20140524_145738.jpg

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I don't use any filters in my MM's and they smoke just fine. If you don't like the open draw without the filter you can adjust it to some degree when packing the bowl & the tamp.
I don't have any of the maple hardwoods. The only negative I have heard about them is that the Country Gentleman is kind of thin and therefore the bowl gets hot.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
To filter or not to filter, to be honest your just going to have to try it both ways and see what you like. Personally to me afilter equals less taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All my MM cobs but one are fitted with Forever stems which are not filtered. My one filtered cob pipe, for when I want

a filter, is fitted with a softie bit, since the original stems are rather soft plastic and get chewed up after a while.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe the hardwoods are all hardwood, no cob liners I've ever seen, to answer that question.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I occasionally use a 6mm Savinelli balsa filter in my filter-stem cobs. It tightens the draw to more a natural feel, for me, and doesn't seem to reduce flavor noticeably.

Status
Not open for further replies.