Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Corn Cob Pipes

(41 posts)
  1. deckpiper

deckpiper

Login to Send PM

Just had a smoke on the deck. I hadn't yet tried out my Country Gentleman corn cob pipe from Missouri Meerschaum...

...and I thought I would try out my "Black Vanilla" tobacco in it (with a glass of Federalist Cabernet Sauvignon)...decent pairing. First time with that tobacco, and I'm sorry, but I bought it without knowing anything about it, so I don't know the brand. Hardly any vanilla taste to it at all, actually. Just smoked like, well, tobacco. I'll try it again, but the Lane BCA is far superior to my mind.

I'm intrigued by corn cob pipes. They seem to be universally liked among pipe smokers. Do they handle heat better than, say, oak pipes? I enjoyed the smoke, but the draw was very different from my Vauen...I could faintly hear a "shhhhh" as I puffed. Maybe that is the paper filter in the corn cob, as opposed to the 9mm filter in the Vauen Ascot 172.

The pipe smoked well, though. The bowl seemed narrow and high compared to my Vauen (the only other pipe I've been using--the Country Gentleman corn cob is my second pipe). Didn't seem like it held as much tobacco as my Vauen, but it smoked for a reasonable amount of time.

Being inexpensive, this may be a good pipe for a sports tailgater, or a camp out.

My son, who gets the anti-tobacco treatment at school big time, was giving me trouble about the pipe tonight. He's a straight shooter, but he is amused by my new vice. The wife still wants me to stay in back...she's not ready for the neighbors to see me smoking on the front porch. I don't think they'd care half as much as she does.

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You ow yourself to grow a long moustache and a Stetson and go to the front of the house with your cob and embarass everyone.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

You ow yourself to grow a long moustache and a Stetson and go to the front of the house with your cob and embarass everyone.

Sounds like my daily life.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 11 months ago #
  4. deckpiper

deckpiper

Login to Send PM

Ha! I would enjoy that!

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. johnsteam86

johnsteam86

Login to Send PM

You will find a lot of us enjoy the corn cob pipe. I just got in two that I had on order in their hardwoods collection making the total pipes in my collection MM majority. Your bowl sizes will be pretty close to the ones you find on a briar or hardwood type pipe but maybe just a little shorter by about .1 to .2 of an inch difference. The more you smoke the pipe the better it gets especially once you char the inner stem portion a couple times. So if you enjoyed it now you will really enjoy it in a couple months. Look also into pipe mud or cement to line the bottom of the bowl if needed to prevent burning out the bottom. While with MM not all of them may require this you just have to see if it has a hardwood insert in the bottom.

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. deckpiper

deckpiper

Login to Send PM

The avatar I just selected has hat & stache. (I'm a big van Gogh fan...I know, that's like saying I like the Beetles or Beethoven. Hopefully someone else here doesn't have this image as their avatar.)

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha, I wasn't even thinking of you Chasing. In your case I' recommend a full tweed suit with knickers, bowler, Hitler-moustache and a churchwarden, if embarassing loved ones is the aim. here.

Posted 11 months ago #
  8. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

I absolutely love my cobs. They're great at the deer lease and I always keep a few spares around for friends who may be interested in taking up the hobby.

Posted 11 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Haha, I wasn't even thinking of you Chasing. In your case I' recommend a full tweed suit with knickers, bowler, Hitler-moustache and a churchwarden, if embarassing loved ones is the aim. here.

I may try that.

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cobs, love OR hate em, huh? I love em AND hate em. They smoke great but look like shit.

Years back, 2003 maybe? (before Walker Forever Stems) I always yapped on forums about the crappy MM stems and since MM didnt seem to care about improving them I often suggested for somebody to start making custom stems for cobs. I didn't wait around and went as far to hiring on a pipe-carver (I forget who it was) but anyway, I had him make me a couple custom stems for my MM cobs and I posted the pics on a few pipe forums. Guys really liked them and before ya knew it all of a sudden Ol' Dave Walker started making stems for cobs and coined the name "Forever Stems."

Coincidence ? Maybe. Maybe not. Anyway, heres a few of mine and the cool thing is that many of my stems fit different MM models (interchangable, yeah)

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  11. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The same stem fits on the MM Pride model as well as this Country Gent. I think she fits on the Generals too. (it's acrylic which I dislike and the next one I had made was vulcanite)

Posted 11 months ago #
  12. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This was a MM Pride that my friend Mike made for me. Not as ugly as a regular cob, just less ugly. Buy hey, she's the Cadillac of Cobs

Posted 11 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the cobs. I've never bothered mudding one; my standard treatment is to ditch the filter, put a better stem on it, and smoke away.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  14. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I started my pipe smoking, I wrinkled my nose at corncobs, for the same reason Kola mentioned: they do look like crap, kind of. They appeared to me too rustic, something more for the country bumpkin than the refined gentleman piper.

Eventually, I caved in and got one. Then got some more; and now, they outnumber my briars.

They smoke alright, are inexpensive, and need no break-in. I... still... think... they're too rustic, though. If I'm having my photo taken, I'll take the Brigham volcano or the Vauen apple.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 11 months ago #
  15. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MM Country Gentleman, antler shank & ruby lucite stem:

A very nice VA/VaPer flake pipe.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 11 months ago #
  16. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shown below is a 24 pipe rack of nothing but MM Cobs. 80% of the time its a meer in my jaw, the other 20% is a MM Cob...

"The weez..."
    Posted 11 months ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

A stem and tamper made for a friend of mine's wife.

Posted 11 months ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

My favorite.

Posted 11 months ago #
  19. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great stems, love my Diplomat corncob, but sadly have the original stem.
    Can’t beat a corncob.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 11 months ago #
  20. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many years back I bought a display case that was housed with about 25 MM pipes. It was stamped with a big MM logo at the tiop and all the pipes fitted neatly into it which could be hung on a wall. Sadly, I sold it for some pretty nice chump change but the cool thing about it was that all the pipes were factory fitted with beefy vulcanite stems. I traced it back to late 60's or 1970 era. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Posted 11 months ago #
  21. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds a great thing, sad you sold it! Pictures would be great.

Posted 11 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I disagree about cobs looking shabby. I think they are a kind of miracle of simplicity and style. I would have no problem smoking one in a suit and tie or tux. Especially once you get them broken in, and they have a bit of char, and the bowl is well handled, they are a precious piece of history still living among us and an excellent smoke.

Posted 10 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I like the original stems. Barely a bit of chatter on any of them.

Posted 10 months ago #
  24. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I disagree about cobs looking shabby.

I'm with mso489 on this point, however they typically have an unrefined look, which to me is part of their charm. They do smoke well enough and manage to serve their purpose. The trouble is that the primary material suffers chamber width and other shaping limitations, so I only consider a cob should the occasion permit, which is not as often as I would like.

Like btp79, I do like to keep a fresh cob on hand should a friend get the notion to give pipe smoking a try.

Dot
    Posted 10 months ago #
  25. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meh.

Posted 10 months ago #
  26. kaleehb

kaleehb

Login to Send PM

I love a good corn cob pipe. I have roughly 15 in my collection and keep several cob necked nose warmers on hand for guest who come over and want to smoke (but aren’t pipe smokers). For me, there are some tobaccos that just perform and taste better in a cob. One of those is PS Lux Bullseye Flake. I have a MM Country Gentleman with custom stem that smokes Lux Flake like a champ. Some folks don’t like cobs, but I will always have them in my pipe rotation.

Posted 10 months ago #
  27. 9mmpuffer

9mmpuffer

Login to Send PM

I'm not really a fan. Bowls are too narrow for by Balkans. They seem to smoke burleys well, I don't mind Uhle's 00 in a cob. Give me a "real meerschaum" any day of the week. Also not a fan of the filters and the draw is too open without them. If they made a 9mm filter cob I might change my tune.

Posted 10 months ago #
  28. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The MM 'Morgan' has a more square-ish (larger bore) bowl that'd probably be more suitable for English blends, but it's indeed an unfiltered pipe.

I noticed your avatar, and I grant that cobs' draught might be too wide for you. I was smoking my Vauen earlier and I did notice that I had to puff harder on it to pull the smoke into my mouth, which I assume is a result of the Dr. Perl filter. It can be tricky at first to adjust one's draw on a per pipe basis, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to develop the habit.

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

While I love my Briar pipes I have never been one to worry about how rustic a cob looks. Perhaps it's my fascination with Mark Twain but I'm actually drawn to the unfinished MM cobs for how simple and classic they look. I've got a bent one with a forever stem on it I leave in my car and it gets smoked almost every day.

Posted 10 months ago #
  30. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I’m a big fan of cobs. They just about always provide me with a good smoke without any hassles.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 10 months ago #
  31. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Expecting arrival today of my Shire Cob from the Cobbit Series. I now have all the Cobbit Series cobs and they all smoke great. I think my favorite is the Dwarf Cob. It's the best flake pipe I have.

Posted 10 months ago #
  32. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as I take digs at cobs, I love the things. Plus the sentimental value I have with them as they were the the first pipes I smoked at age 14. Along with Borkum Riff and Half & Half.

Posted 10 months ago #
  33. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree MM cobs are pretty small. Although, I purchased an Old Dominion cob recently and they use larger cobs and, thus, have larger chambers. I never got in to cobs much, but I have been enjoying this Old Dominion and really don't mind the cane reed stem either. I might want to bling it up some, though. Has any one modified an Old Dominion with an add on stem?

Posted 10 months ago #
  34. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Disposable pipes have a place, most definitely.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  35. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Disposable pipes have a place, most definitely.

And that's why Dunhill will never die.

Posted 10 months ago #
  36. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I agree MM cobs are pretty small.

Ever see a General or a MacArthur?

Posted 10 months ago #
  37. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

And that's why Dunhill will never die.

ba dum tss

Javan
    Posted 10 months ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Posted 10 months ago #
  39. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree MM cobs are pretty small.
    Ever see a General or a MacArthur?

Or Wizard Cobbit? Some older models, like this Bamboo one, have larger chambers too.

Posted 10 months ago #
  40. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

As well as the Freehand and both versions of the Reverse Calabash.

Posted 10 months ago #
  41. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice cobs. I prefer the natural MM's (but like the plaster ones too), naturals are lighter and feel good in the hand.

Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, olkofri, acidpox, ekert, ashdigger, cranseiron, derhammer, alsatmem, mikefu, sasquatch, pappymac, catyrpelius, rdavid, bassbug, wannabe, morgansteele