PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Just had a smoke on the deck. I hadn't yet tried out my Country Gentleman corn cob pipe from Missouri Meerschaum...
002-543-0019.jpg

...and I thought I would try out my "Black Vanilla" tobacco in it (with a glass of Federalist Cabernet Sauvignon)...decent pairing. First time with that tobacco, and I'm sorry, but I bought it without knowing anything about it, so I don't know the brand. Hardly any vanilla taste to it at all, actually. Just smoked like, well, tobacco. I'll try it again, but the Lane BCA is far superior to my mind.
I'm intrigued by corn cob pipes. They seem to be universally liked among pipe smokers. Do they handle heat better than, say, oak pipes? I enjoyed the smoke, but the draw was very different from my Vauen...I could faintly hear a "shhhhh" as I puffed. Maybe that is the paper filter in the corn cob, as opposed to the 9mm filter in the Vauen Ascot 172.
The pipe smoked well, though. The bowl seemed narrow and high compared to my Vauen (the only other pipe I've been using--the Country Gentleman corn cob is my second pipe). Didn't seem like it held as much tobacco as my Vauen, but it smoked for a reasonable amount of time.
Being inexpensive, this may be a good pipe for a sports tailgater, or a camp out.
My son, who gets the anti-tobacco treatment at school big time, was giving me trouble about the pipe tonight. He's a straight shooter, but he is amused by my new vice. The wife still wants me to stay in back...she's not ready for the neighbors to see me smoking on the front porch. I don't think they'd care half as much as she does.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You ow yourself to grow a long moustache and a Stetson and go to the front of the house with your cob and embarass everyone.
Sounds like my daily life.
img_20160221_173205-1.jpg

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
You ow yourself to grow a long moustache and a Stetson and go to the front of the house with your cob and embarass everyone.
Ha! I would enjoy that!

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
You will find a lot of us enjoy the corn cob pipe. I just got in two that I had on order in their hardwoods collection making the total pipes in my collection MM majority. Your bowl sizes will be pretty close to the ones you find on a briar or hardwood type pipe but maybe just a little shorter by about .1 to .2 of an inch difference. The more you smoke the pipe the better it gets especially once you char the inner stem portion a couple times. So if you enjoyed it now you will really enjoy it in a couple months. Look also into pipe mud or cement to line the bottom of the bowl if needed to prevent burning out the bottom. While with MM not all of them may require this you just have to see if it has a hardwood insert in the bottom.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
The avatar I just selected has hat & stache. (I'm a big van Gogh fan...I know, that's like saying I like the Beetles or Beethoven. Hopefully someone else here doesn't have this image as their avatar.)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Haha, I wasn't even thinking of you Chasing. In your case I' recommend a full tweed suit with knickers, bowler, Hitler-moustache and a churchwarden, if embarassing loved ones is the aim. here.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I absolutely love my cobs. They're great at the deer lease and I always keep a few spares around for friends who may be interested in taking up the hobby.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haha, I wasn't even thinking of you Chasing. In your case I' recommend a full tweed suit with knickers, bowler, Hitler-moustache and a churchwarden, if embarassing loved ones is the aim. here.
:rofl:
I may try that. :mrgreen:

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Cobs, love OR hate em, huh? I love em AND hate em. They smoke great but look like shit.
Years back, 2003 maybe? (before Walker Forever Stems) I always yapped on forums about the crappy MM stems and since MM didnt seem to care about improving them I often suggested for somebody to start making custom stems for cobs. I didn't wait around and went as far to hiring on a pipe-carver (I forget who it was) but anyway, I had him make me a couple custom stems for my MM cobs and I posted the pics on a few pipe forums. Guys really liked them and before ya knew it all of a sudden Ol' Dave Walker started making stems for cobs and coined the name "Forever Stems."
Coincidence ? Maybe. Maybe not. Anyway, heres a few of mine and the cool thing is that many of my stems fit different MM models (interchangable, yeah)
picture056-600x400.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like the cobs. I've never bothered mudding one; my standard treatment is to ditch the filter, put a better stem on it, and smoke away.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
When I started my pipe smoking, I wrinkled my nose at corncobs, for the same reason Kola mentioned: they do look like crap, kind of. They appeared to me too rustic, something more for the country bumpkin than the refined gentleman piper.
Eventually, I caved in and got one. Then got some more; and now, they outnumber my briars.
Alberichs_Pfeifen_04AD18.jpg

They smoke alright, are inexpensive, and need no break-in. I... still... think... they're too rustic, though. If I'm having my photo taken, I'll take the Brigham volcano or the Vauen apple.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Shown below is a 24 pipe rack of nothing but MM Cobs. 80% of the time its a meer in my jaw, the other 20% is a MM Cob...

Reactions: cosgringo

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Great stems, love my Diplomat corncob, but sadly have the original stem.

Can’t beat a corncob.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Many years back I bought a display case that was housed with about 25 MM pipes. It was stamped with a big MM logo at the tiop and all the pipes fitted neatly into it which could be hung on a wall. Sadly, I sold it for some pretty nice chump change but the cool thing about it was that all the pipes were factory fitted with beefy vulcanite stems. I traced it back to late 60's or 1970 era. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.