PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I post quite often about smoking my MM Diplomat with Plum Forever Stem and whatever tobacco I've chosen.
What many don't know is through the course of a year I smoke that pipe 4 times a day.
Given the pipe is 8 y/o it has been smoked more than 10,000 times, had the original stem replaced with another original MM stem and when that one needed to be replaced I bought the Forever Stem.
Yessir those corn cob pipes are just throwaway pipes! ;) Keeping it smokey.

banjo
5673536d45ad5285e8bb2db7d5a518d91ed6477.jpeg

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Got one I've smoked off and on since 1980. Just goes to show with a little care some things can last .:)

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
To be upfront, I prefer a nice briar, it feels classy to me. Yet I have owned 100's of briars over the years and maybe half were good to great to sublime smokers
I have never been dissapointed in a cob. Smooth and dry and tasty.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I had a couple Missouri Meerschaum cobs bought post-draught a few years ago, a Legend and a Country Gentleman. The Legend burned through on the second smoke, and the Country Gentleman didn't last the winter. This represents only two of about 14 cobs I bought that year; the rest remain in action. That was as bad as it ever got; still not too bad.
I've got so damn many MM cobs because I'd assumed they wouldn't last, yet they're all hanging in there, and somehow achieve a kind of humble beauty the more they get smoked. I just love 'em! :puffy:

Reactions: Indibill54

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I was about to get on here and complain that I am not a fan of my cob, because the last time I smoked it toward the end of the bowl I sucked up multiple embers, not a pleasant experience. I thought it was a non-filtered pipe I had gotten way long ago, but looking at it now, it has a striking resemblance to the currently available filtered Diplomat. If so, I have been smoking it without filter or insert, making ideal conditions for those embers. I'll get an insert and reserve judgement until I have a pipe with a properly narrow shank...
Its physical condition is still consistent with most who laud its longevity, and for a while I had smoked it almost daily.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I absolutely love that cob! My cobs get smoked more, and harder then any of my other pipes. I've been through 2 replacement stems each. May I request close up photos of this beauty? :)

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Cobs, I love 'em. Have a bunch and just bought another one today, The Marcus from SP.com.
And while on the subject of cobs, does anybody know how The Marcus got its name, or who or what it represents? SP's info says Mark Twain was entertaining Rudyard Kipling, who apparently had disparaging things to say about the lowly cob.
Twain reportedly said it was not a cob, but a Missouri Meerschaum.
But, why The Marcus moniker?
Just askin'.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
didimauw, was just getting ready to service it and just saw your request so I will take photos of it prior to my servicing and again after servicing since it will look awkward for about a month post service, regards.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.