PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
I just got a good deal on a couple of Kirsten pipes. As a gadget hound, I have been wanting to try out one of the few radiator pipes out there. I love the concept of removing moisture and unwanted particulates from my smoke. when you clean a radiator pipe, you really see and smell what you are puffing in. As I love tinkering with mechanical stuff, this added allure to my smoking hobby.
After trying these radiators, I realize one thing. they work great!!! in fact, too great. I find the smoke is "sterilized". It seems weak and does not deliver the same level of satisfaction my cheap cobs and knock off briars seem to. I seem to get more of a mild chemical burn probably due to extended puffing of just dry air. It seems I have to smoke a lot longer to get the satisfaction.
Overall, I am not too sure about radiator pipes now. If the stuff you remove from the pipe smoke are what give it its character, is it really worth even doing it after removing this stuff?
thoughts on radiators?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Well, they don't remove anything. You may have to adjust you packing and smoking style, but I have several Kirstens and they smoke just fine.
Give it a little time.
You also might look into H. Wiebe Radiator pipes. I love them and smoke those way, way more than my Kirstens.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
Ashdigger, you may be right, I only gave it a couple days and was looking for opinions just for this reason. Wow, the prices for the Wiebes kinda chokes me a bit, but would love to try them out as well.
I do love these pipes and want it to work. both are gen 2 with one a low mileage cob bowl K series and the other a briar model S in mint condition. Both are from the late 60's to early 70's I am told. Knowing that we were putting men on the moon when these were being smoked adds to nostalgia value!

Status
Not open for further replies.