PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I picked up a Peterson churchwarden a few months ago and tentatively decided to make it my second latakia pipe. However, I also lost some of my taste for Englishes around that time, with the result that I've yet to really smoke out of it, apart from some Frog Morton's Cellar. Having done a bit of research, I think its attributes - cooling chuchwardenliness, Dublin-shaped bowl - recommends it as more of a Virginia or VaPer pipe. But there's still enough latakia ghost hanging around it to make the process of 'conversion' probably a nuisance. Anyway, here's hoping.
On a side note, how badly does FMC tend to ghost? I do like it, but I'm wary of that bourbon topping settling too comfortably into my usual lat pipe.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you can put up with it, just smoke it with some darker VAs the Peterson. It sounds like you have not smoked it a lot so it should not be much of a problem.
With your other Latakia pipe, not sure how much the Frog will ghost but it should not be much of a problem to smoke out any remaining ghost with a fuller Latakia blend.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks guys. Having looked at it again I see that I never smoked it enough to build much of a cake, so the ghost is hopefully just superficial. I'll give it a cotton+alcohol treatment to be on the safe side and go from there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The salt & alcohol treatment should do the trick. I was thinking about adding a Churchwarden and a Peterson seems to fit the bill at the right price.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Mine's a rusticated D6 and it does look good. That said, in true Pete tradition, the alcohol treatment leached a fair amount of pinkish red stain through the carbon pre-coat in the chamber and into the cotton. Theres's also a goodly amount of stain in the shank. I haven't smoked it since the treatment so I don't know how much of a break-in it'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.