PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have popped a tin of Ashton's consummate gentleman for the first time in a year and a half, and let me say this is a breath of fresh air. After smoking a long series of latakia heavy English blends, I finally remembered this little fellow and suddenly remembered that a latakia light version of an English exists. It also seems very burley forward, with a significant sweet side. I am not sure what this Maryland tobacco might be, in fact I think this is the only blend I have smoked containing this, but I am blaming it for quite a unique note. Overall, I stick to my guns - this blend is very very underappreciated and unique in its own sense for an English. In fact, I have experimented so deep down the English latakia path that I got to the point where I could only distinguish the various blends in accord to the latakia content, hardly focusing on anything else. Or in other words, I have valued English blends in relation to the latakia content and how that affected the whole story as a main character. This is a totally different ball game, and it offered me huge satisfaction tonight upon smoking. Taking the latakia out of an English, or better yet - toning it down, opens the door to an entirely new level of complexity. Still an English, but a particular type of English that brings forward the burley and virginia that is so often strangled by the rich latakia flavor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I smoked English blends I always favored ones that were not Latakia bombs. I found that too much Latakia overwhelmed all the other tobaccos in the blend and made it one dimensional. One of my favorite was Murray made Dunhill Standard, it was very well balanced and not Latakia dominant. I have no idea what the new version is like but maybe check out some reviews. Another favorite was Two Friends Deacons Downfall. It has a combo of ingredients with some really nice perique flavors and was a fairly complex blend.
Check the reviews on this one. Also it is always available as not many people know about it.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/847/two-friends-deacons-downfall

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've also been on the "Latakia Light" kick.
I'm enjoying Gawith Hoggarth's Scotch Mixture, Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake and John Bull Royal English currently.
All three have latakia in amounts that let you sense the other components. Thanks for the additional TAD infection... :crying:
jay-roger.jpg

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I'm the same way with lat bombs. I still like them, but I save it for the last pipe of the night. A lat heavy english is like eating a heavy meal and I just don't have much appetite to smoke more after a bowl. It sort of overwhelms my palate for anything else. I much prefer a lighter blend throughout the day with just enough latakia to add some body to the virginias and orientals.

Status
Not open for further replies.