PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
So my fiancé and I are considering a move to the Oregon coast. We love the California coast, but the tobacco be gun laws are pretty barbaric, let alone cost of living.

How is Oregon's attitude toward tobacco, particularly pipe smokers? We currently live in Louisville Kentucky, and here, beside the restaurant smoking ban, pretty much anything else goes, tobacco and firearms everywhere, and we're all pretty cool with that.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
With Washington and California right next door, I'd be worried. Washington seems to be a tobacco dead-zone.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well the Seattle pipe club is not too far. My best friend lives up in The Dalles area. Not too far from Portland. I want to go up and visit Astoria some day. Have to check out where the Goonies was filmed.
edit cant embed a dang video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLhytQ67fs

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
These shops may be of interest, and may be able to answer some of your questions...
http://www.82ave.com/
http://www.richscigar.com/index.html
Tarheel, been to The Dalles, will never forget it! Hood River is a cool place also. Great state for wine!

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Beautiful state, not sure about laws though. There must be a website that can give you info. Maybe a .gov site? I'm in WA, it's no-go on smoking here in public. Tobacco taxes are insane here as well.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
No sales tax. Income and property taxes yes. Every where I go they will get the necessary money one way or another. Good state to live in.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
There is growing anti-gun and anti- tobacco sentiment in Washington and Oregon. The closer you get to the west, the worse it gets. Portland is a wonderful city but I like to shoot and smoke my pipe.....

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I lived in Vancouver for many years and absolutely loved visiting Portland. I would live there given the opportunity! Great beer and wine too, beautiful Oregon landscape, very friendly people and laid back atmosphere.

Got to say being a British/Canadian Guns aren't really something that figures in my life....

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I travel to Portland frequently and I think it is an amazing city. I would live there in a heartbeat if it didn't mean leaving family and friends. It is not a gun-friendly city, however. And while I am sure there are smokers there, I no longer even bother packing a pipe when I go. Even when visiting one of the many beautiful parks in the city I feel uncomfortable smoking because everywhere you look there is a farmer's market or people running on trails through the parks and I get the sense it wouldn't be appreciated.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Both Oregon and Washington ( for the moment) are still open carry states. CCWs are pretty easy to get. There is growing pressure to increase gun controls.
Tobacco in OR is better than WA. Only a 65% tax in OR. WA is 95% and mail order is illegal and one is forced to get creative...
You are not advised to open carry in Seattle or Portland because people will look at you like you've grown a penis in the middle of your forehead and some ignorant hippie tool will call the police. Most other places in either state is probably ok.
Given the choice (I was) ), I picked Vancouver, Wa. Best of both worlds, since I don't want a state income tax and am able to avoid a lot of WA sales tax by going to Portland for big purchases.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I lived in Portland, Seattle and all over CA, but spent a lot of time in the bay area. Any place along the coast that is progressive (i.e. a place a young person wants to live) is going to frown on smoking and guns. My advice, bite the bullet and move somewhere that you really want to be. That said, there are gun clubs and smoking in all of these places. In fact, a buddy of mine bought a bar in Berkeley years ago just to charter it as a private club (which allows smoking indoors). You can square your pipe and guns after getting your living situation down, doing it in reverse seems ass backward to me.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Unsure about the laws, but I can't recall seeing as many smokers as I do in CA. It is though one of my favorite states I've visited and would love to move there one day!

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
My wife and I lived for a couple of years in Hood River back in the early 1990s. We loved it. Moving back east to be nearer our aging family was tough. Finding good tobacco? Only in Portland. Places to smoke, back then even...my porch, my deck, my truck. Trying to enjoy my pipe on a bench outside the public library was an ordeal as I was verbally assaulted quite often by the nanny-staters who seemed rather thick over(up?) there.
On some days, mostly winter ones, I miss it a lot. Oregon winters below 4000 feet are mild compared to SW PA.
Expensive living, but then Pittsburgh is cheap.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Come down south, we all get along, even though the media tries to persuade the country other wise. Plus we support jobs and protection of property.

Status
Not open for further replies.