PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
to this point i have mostly smoked aromatics but in searching for a more full bodied smoke i was pointed in the direction of english blends. one in particular that was highly recommended was dunhill nightcap...the latakia was a shock to my senses and a bit too smokey and/or spicy for my taste and the aroma was strange...perfumy if you will...my question is...is latakia a developed taste or pretty much just like it or dont? can you guys recommend a blend that is light on the latakia so i can slowly develop a taste for it? i like the full bodied flavor just maybe the nightcap was too much too soon...also i have been wanting to try a matured virginia flake but really didnt want to buy a whole tin and not like it as i did with the nightcap. id like to maybe trade the nightcap if someone would be interested...all im asking in return is maybe a couple virginia flakes 1 bowl of a couple other samples that you think i may enjoy. i just purchased the nightcap tin last friday oct 25th and its only missing 2 bowls...

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Keep the Nightcap for another day, I recommend you purchase Frog Morton original to ease yourself into Latakia. Come back to Nightcap later, maybe just half a bowl at first, by going from aromatics straight to Nightcap you jumped from A ball directly to the majors, Frog Morton should help with the transition. As far as Virginia flakes, you might try Orlik Golden Sliced as a nice intro, it won't lay you out and it's not too fussy either.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
For sure keep the Nightcap, jar it up and save it for another time down the road in your journey.

I second the Frog Morton Original and would most definitely give Frog Morton Cellar a try, when I was switching from mainly Aro's Nightcap didn't do it for me either but now I enjoy it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nightcap is definitely not a "first latakia" blend. That's definitely for someone who has their latakia chops.

The Frogs are really popular with folks first venturing into latakia. I was already a lat vet of many years standing, which might be why they did not work for me. Give a couple of them a whirl; you might like them.
MacB Solent might be a good match for someone new to lat, as well.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
On a side note... Latakia doesn't come from Latakia these days, but apparently Israel bombed the town yesterday.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/world/meast/syria-civil-war/index.html?hpt=wo_c2
"Israeli warplanes struck a military base near the Syrian port city of Latakia this week, an Obama administration official told CNN on Thursday."

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I second the Frogs, all of them! Cellar, is a crossover from aros and it has a nice whiskey note. Don't forget about the other Frogs, Across The Pond , On The Town, and On The Bayou (which has a good bit of Perique in it). All of them are very good, and very different from each other. The Cellar is definitely the lightest on Latakia, followed by Across The Pond, IMO. Good luck to you!

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'd recommend Middleton's Walnut. You can purchase it in 2 oz packs from 4noggins. See this discussion regarding it. Middletons Walnut. Follow rothnh's Wall-Hall recipe if you still think its strong. In fact wile your at 4noggins pick up some Carter Hall and smoke a few bowls, then proceed with Wal-Hall and then go to Walnut. I feel a clean Burley tobacco is a great exit out of Aeros and on to straight Virginia's.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
It may be that you may never like Latakia,you can venture into more straight tobacs w/o going the latakia route. You may consider something in the range of a Virgina perique mix or a vaper/burley mix with a slight topping,you will have to experiment in order to find something you like and it may be something with alittle latakia who knows.Good luck to you sir.
Mike.

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
thanks for the advice, i will hang on to nightcap and experiment some more. my local tinderbox carries the frog mortons you guys recommended ill definately give it a try

imagenthat

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
thanks for the advice, i will hang on to nightcap and experiment some more. my local tinderbox carries the frog mortons you guys recommended ill definately give it a try

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I tried one of the Frog Morton's for my first Latakia experience and quite enjoyed it. Suggest you keep the Nightcap and let it age for about 4-6 weeks and come back to it at some point. I tried Nightcap right after opening it and was less than inpressed. Came back to it about a month later and it was a much better smoke. Good luck and welcome.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I strongly recommend James Fox Provost Mixture. You should be able to get it on 4noggins or P&C. It's sweet and easy-going, containing a sturdy but never overpowering backbone of Latakia, and is an excellent introduction to the condiment. I happily graduated from Provost to Nightcap.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I always tell people moving over from aromatics, try something in the non Latakia realm (most liked Virginia Woods, or Golden sliced) then move in on a mild English(these run the Gamut from Highland Targe, STandard Mixture, EMP or Frog Morton ad infinatum). Most take to EMP or the Frog best at first.
One friend (a Blue Note Smoker) wanted to try latakia. I gave him a bowl of Frog Morton, which he hated, then loaded up with Balkan Sasieni which is now all he smokes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You do realize that the Latakia leaf is smoked over camel dung and that is what you are tasting. If you are a fan of the taste of dung, then Latakia might be for you.
If you are looking to branch out, I would recommend getting a tin of Escudo and a tin of Brigham Klondike Gold. Do some research on how to smoke a flake and how to cube cut it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
imagenthat, I had to laugh because I had a similar experience, getting Nightcap as a gift and sitting on the front porch

with a big old Mountain Laurel pipe puffing away, a little too fast. Whoopee, it wasn't just the Lat but the Nic as well.

Luckily it was later in the evening, so I took the tin's advice and called it a night, wavering a little on my way to bed.

But I knew what had happened, and went back to it, letting it sit a few days, packing a smaller pipe, and taking much

more time, and though it was still strong, it was a far better experience. Once understood, Nightcap became an enjoyable

part of the rotation that I looked forward to. I have a lot of tobacco on hand, but I want another tin. Right now I'm learning

my way through my first trials of G.L. Pease Triple Play, plug tobacco, another really robust blend. A much more low key

Lat blend is the recommended Frog Morton. Others are Dunhill's My Mixture 965, though that might still be a little heady

for you just now. I also like Altadis Fox and Hound, with a much more subdued Lat presence. Don't push yourself. Most

like a nice burley, Virginia, Cavendish, or mix. Take Lat as you will, but don't force it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Harris is just trying to mess with you as the camel dung thing is a myth. Smoking latakia to me is akin to eating smoked foods like brisket or ribs. Some people like it some people don't. Also some are smokier than others.
Nightcap is way too smokey for a first latakia.
Absolutely go with the Frog Morton's. They are all good but I would say Cellar in particular is fantastic.
I would also say you try Dunhill EMP. Not much lat in that so it's a good start.
This is from GL Pease website:

Q: Is Latakia really cured over smoldering camel dung?
A: The only smoldering dung is that used to fuel the myths about Latakia. I wouldn't really care if the myth were reality, since I really love the stuff, but, it's important to understand that a variety of herbs and hardwoods are used in the processing of Latakia, not camel dung. No matter how many times I say this, the myth will probably be promulgated until the Sun stops revolving about the Earth... (That's a joke, by the way, just in case it isn't obvious*.) For more information on the wonderful, smoky weed, read my article, "A Tale of Two Latakias."

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
fitzy said: "Harris is just trying to mess with you as the camel dung thing is a myth."
When I first began smoking a pipe, I went through countless different blends in a search for something I did not DIS-like ... although there were far fewer available choices back then, there was also no source of information like the Internet offers these days ... one was dependent on a clerk in the pipe/cigar store who might or might not know enough about tobacco to be of actual help ...
One of the most knowledgeable guys I ever encountered in a pipe store looked at my lists ('likes' and 'dislikes') and noticed that Latakia was an ingredient in all of the dislikes and was not a part of any of those in the likes ... he let me sniff a jar of Lat from his mixing bench and I immediately knew he was right ...
Fitzy might be right in his assertion that Harris is just trying to mess with someone' mind but IMNSHO, Harris might be on to something ... there was far more than one of those many experiments that I pronounced as tasting like sh** ...
I know, that puts me in a minority, but given my taste buds, I'm not wrong (for me). I'd suggest you try a few blends that have no Lat in them and go forward from there ...

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
There may be some who do not agree with what I am going to tell you but try mixing some PA with the Night Cap. I do this if I find a blend that is overwhelming. I mix Night Cap like that to tone it down a bit and enjoy it quite a lot. Yes I know the PA is a drug store brand but it works.

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
I had some Dunhill "Early Morning" I bought from a store that was jarred in bulk. I have to say that for whatever reason it made my stomache gurgle a little bit after the smoke. I'm currently smoking Frog Morton's original blend and have since purchased Penzance, Petersons "Dublin", and a few others. I would strongly recommend Frog Morton. It's really smooth.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Great advice and suggestions given here.
Nightcap is a tough start on the Latakia journey. I would agree that EMP is a great way to begin. It is part of my regular rotation
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.