PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Hey guys. I am new to the community. Looking forward to joining this culture. I am new to both pipes and tobacco use in general. I have read its way different than cigarettes (i have no desire) and more similar to cigars. I am an athlete and hope it doesnt effect my training. Can i get some insight from the community? I am half irish and half scottish so i feel its in ym blood to give it a try haha.
Gary

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome to the forum Gary! You came to the right place, plenty of friendly and knowledgeable folk here.
Duane

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks @chasingembers! i look forward to the insight and knowledge. I am just nervous as there are so many false stigmas thrown at our these days regarding tobacco. I just want some truth!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome Gary!

I highly recommend pipe smoking to all my fellow Slo-Pitch softball players.

Since I've taken up smoking a pipe and ditched all cigarettes and inhalations...my aerobic capacity has increased.

I'll admit to a nagging nicotine urge that helps keep me 'motivated', but have discovered that I can rely on my pipe smoking to assuage that 'requirement' and still keep my lungs happy.

It's been just a year since I started piping, and it's been a lot of fun, especially with hanging out on the forum here and livin la pipa loca.

Big Red Irish Mike, from Fellsmere (that's what a former co worker used to call me) ha ha

p.s. I had a stress test on a treadmill last week. No problem with generating the necessary heartbeats all the while carrying on an insipid conversation with attendants.

Just got back from having my teeth cleaned. Yes, I had tobacco stains on my teeth. No, I had no plaque or tartar and yes the stains came off.

Downside? If you don't smoke, you don't spend money on tobacco, unless of course, you're collecting it as some sort of investment.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome. Read the rules and an lurk for a while. I'd suggest that you start with the beginners forum. Feel free to post your questions.
Many, myself included, will suggest that you start with one or two Missouri Meershaum corn cob pipes and a variety of tobacco blends - an aromatic, an English, an Virginia/Periqu, a burley, a Virginia/burley and maybe a balkan. Everyone one has their favorites but you will have to try a blend to know if you like it. You'll want to get maybe a couple of dJeep lighters and a simple pipe tool. That's all you need to get started. The vast majority of smokers will agree that cobs smoke every bit as well most briars and better than some.
You might want to order bulk tobacco to start, since you can get 1 oz samples. You can trust any of the site sponsors to help you purchase what you need and they all are priced fairly and provide good service.
I would also suggest that you participate in one or more of our Tobacco Crawls. The crawl is like an online club and we try new tobaccos together. It is a way you can get to know tobaccos and fellow smokers.
Good luck and welcome.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks @brass. I will lurk some more and read up. I was given a brand new Dr. Grabow Duke Bent pipe. I will buy the rest of the tools soon and get some samples to test.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
-livin la pipa loca

Excellent phrase coining!

There are inherent dangers to any tobacco usage, Gary, but as newbroom pointed out, the lack of inhalation makes the pipe a bit less of a health issue than cigarettes. It's all about the taste of a good tobacco, and the peace that it brings. There is a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
I already know i will be a "couple bowls on the weekend" kinda smoker. As i have a busy schedule. I do look forward to the slow down and hang out feel that you guys mention during pipe smoking.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just be warned, PAD (pipe aquisition disorder), and TAD (tobacco aquisition disorder) are far more addictive than nicotine. Many of us have fallen to both. :mrgreen:

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Haha i can see that happening to me haha. I already owwww ahhh over the pictures of the pipes posted under other topics haha. Anxious to start now. Thanks everyone. I will have my first bowl this weekend for memorial day. I will post of my troubles / successes! :puffpipe:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
jiujitsubowl, Welcome to the hobby! You have met some of the nicest folks on the forum and received some excellent tips.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Welcome!

I find that since you don't inhale the smoke, keeping it to a casual bowl now and then does not really affect your aerobic capacity. I've been training at a gym for years and recently started doing crossfit aswell and I don't feel it affects me. I haven't been piping for too long though.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
Anything can be detrimental to athletic activity especially if in a competitive nature.

Generally overtraining, not enough sleep, poor or incorrect diet are the biggest detriments.

I've done all three during my 20 plus years as a bicycle racer, 10k and marathon runner and Shodan in Kumiuchi Ryu Jiu Jitsu.
All things in moderation.
If you are going to be smoking a couple of bowls on the weekends, as I do, don't inhale, etc. you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.