Complete beginner to smoking. A little overwhelmed.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthomas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Firstly I want to say hello to everyone and after reading many threads, posts, reading information from others and my own research I have come to the conclusion that at the age of 27 I want to try to smoke the pipe.
I haven't always had an easy time (as many others) but now I find myself as I reach closer to 30 :| that the finer things and timings in my life are what allow me to compute and relax. I drink tea a lot and it is the process and use of my senses which allows me to relax. I get the feeling that the process is not all that different to pipe smoking. Choosing the right leaf, opening the tin and allowing the aromas to take affect. Preparing the cup, leaf, sugars and water. Getting the process is just as crucial and of course enjoying the fruits of your labor. I'm rambling a bit here but I know everyone here understands ha ha. When I try explain to my friends they simply look at me like I have gone crazy.
I like the idea of slowing down and having the time to prepare my pipe and contemplate life and a million other things ready for whatever I need to do next. Which leads me to my problem...
I don't smoke, I don't drink and I don't do drugs. I have never even tried a cigarette before (even at the age of 28 lol) and yes am worried about tar and nicotine. I know they go hand in hand with smoking and have also read about the risk is less with pipes as you don't necessarily inhale. I am pretty much set on a curved pipe but what gets me is the tobacco. I know I would like something which ideally has a very low nicotine content with some rich flavors such as vanilla, honey and herbs. Deep smokey aromas. I am not sure if this is possible with the low nicotine tobaccos.
I researched that virginia and oriental tobaccos have the lowest nicotine but when I type into google to try find them it just gets overwhelming again. I would be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and thanks!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Do not go with the type of tobacco to determine the amount of Nicotine, the strongest blend I know of is a Virginia blend. Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay. If you don't drink, that may change soon too pretty soon as it really goes with pipe smoking very well. The best advice I can really give is go with cobs at first, they deliver an amazing smoke for almost no cost, from Missouri Meerschaum of course, and you can focus on the important part, getting the blends you love!

Jan 8, 2013
Do you have a tobacconist nearby? A good safe bet would be to go in and talk to them about what blends they have, tell them what your looking for and they can help walk you through some of their selection. Your right, there are alot of tobaccos out there, but thats the fun of it. Try some of everytbing, even things you dont like the smell of. The smell in the jar will be very different from the taste of the smoke.
For a good vanilla, McClelland Vanilla Black is a pretty good one. It is kinda light on nicotine, has a strong vanilla scent and flavor.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome Simon!
Yes it can all be a bit overwhelming at first. 2 years into it and I'm still narrowing down what I like.
If you'd like I'd be more than happy to send you a variety of samples. If you're in the 48 states just PM your address and I'd be happy to share.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I am a newbie myself... fully understand where you're coming from as I had never smoked either.
I started out with Scotty's Butternut Burley and Ole Shenandoah 76. Wasn't sure about the flavor at first since I didn't have a clue what I was doing or what I should be tasting but family told me that it smelled great. After a few bowls of each I began to really enjoy the flavor of each.
Then I ordered Dunhill Early Morning - taste completely different and I loved it immediately. Since, I've added several other blends... haven't found any that I don't like yet.
Give it a shot and give it time. It definitely takes some time and practice to get the packing right and learning to just kick back and slowly enjoy the smoke but it is WELL WORTH the time and practice. It's a great hobby.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You are usually better off starting with a light English than any other blend, but it's hard to avoid the vanilla aromatics. They smell so good, but remember you aren't on the smelling side, you are on the burning side.
Pipe smoking is something to be learned. It can be very difficult to just figure it out. If you have a local pipe club you can get some help there. Maybe your tobacconist is capable of helping.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
+1 KCGhost!

I've always found the worse the tobacco smells, the better it tastes. If it smells like cherries, it will not taste like them A good light english is a great place to start. A lot of online venders offer great sampler packs.

simonthomas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Wow thank you so much to everyone for your responses! I see well I am in London, UK but will be going to the pipe museum in Amsterdam in two weeks time. As for the drinking I will leave that out im afraid, Dad was an alcoholic and I don't touch the stuff. Each to their own of course! : D
I should learn to separate the smell from the taste and as many have said I will just have to simply learn to get a feel and try. I'm sure it will go horribly wrong for a while ha ha.
I will try to find some people and clubs here in the UK that I may be able to attend and learn. Alternatively if anyone is in the area I would be happy to meet up, chat about life etc XD
Thank you jah76 that's very kind of you but I am afraid its a little far away! Keep them and enjoy them on a perfect evening : )
Is there any nice simple starter curved pipes you would recommend? I kind of fell in love with the Smooth Meerschaum Pipe but again need to learn more about it. Its so technical its both an exciting and steep learning curve yet a very rewarding art.
Every little detail seems important and changing it can make a huge difference on the experience.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Welcome! Dont worry about being overwhelmed, the ether will clear itself as you go along!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
You're lucky. I smoked my first pipe at about 9 years old. Then smoked again at 19 years old. I didn't smoke regularly until I was 32. You have a big head start!
Lowest nicotine blends I know are aromatics. Problem is aromatics also bite a little if you smoke too fast. 1Q has never bit me and is low on nicotine, so that's what I'd recommend.
If you really want to get good at pipe smoking, get you some MacBaren Virginia No 1. If you can get it to taste sweet, with NO BITE, then you are well on your way. I've been smoking over 6 years heavy, and less than a year ago, I couldn't do it. Now, it is one of my top favorite smokes.

Jan 8, 2013
Simple bent pipe, Stanwell 19. Ive got one, I love it. Smokes great, light enough to clench, and enough briar to be real nice in hand.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Welcome Simon, reading your post tells me you've got the patience to get it right . Talk to an old timer, take from them what you think will be right for you, we don't know everything , at 71 I"m still learning myself. Someone said it don't taste like it smells, that's a fact Jack. Learn to pack properly, wet the rim with a little spittle so you don't burn the rim. Don't load up to the top, then sit down and don't over think it. It will come if you are destined for it, if not what the hell, at least you tried. Don't be shy asking questions that's why this forum is here. Welcome Aboard.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you are in London I suggest you stroll over to St. James, James Fox is the oldest licensed tobacco store in London. At least as I understand it. I have found the staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful. The staff are pretty much divided into Cigar or Pipe people, mostly cigars these days. There is also a bit of a museum on the premises. You'll be able to get good deal of info, check out a selection of pipes (inexpensive to very expensive), and they have a reasonable selection of blends.
While you are there ask about Milville pipes. The maker, last I was there, has a stall in a bazaar at a church about a block from the store, St. James's Market. He has a nice selection of pipes and you'll find his prices surprisingly good. John Marshall, carver and seller, if not too busy will have time to talk pipes and give you some great beginner tips. Well worth the trip.
Do as I did last trip. I visited Fox for a bit of tobacco, hot footed it to St. James's Market, purchased a new pipe and then strolled over to St. James's Park to watch girls and enjoy my first bowl. In good weather it's a great time waster. Of course, if you are a resident of London you already know all of this.

simonthomas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Thank you for the suggestions on the tobacco I will take a look at the Q1 type and for the suggestions for a simple pipe.
St James is not too far from where I live so I can always take a stroll to there to check it out. I will have to take a trip this week to see this little market and stall. It sounds great!
The idea of strolling in the park enjoying my own company with my pipe is exactly what I am thinking about warren!

I am a Londoner but didn't know places to go visit for purchasing tobacco and pipes so this was really helpful. As an artist it would be nice to grab a piece which was hand made. I certainly would appreciate it on that alone : )

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Welcome Simon !!

Part of the joy of pipe smoking is discovering new tobaccos and looking for that "perfect" pipe. My wife gave me my first pipe in 1976 on our honeymoon. I still have it and it still smokes great. It's a GBD and at the time I got it, it was a very inexpensive pipe. I'm a fan of stanwell's and peterson's but have been trying to buy a few USA made pipes by hobbyists. I really am desiring a Jake Hackert Poker, but keep missing a chance on one. I have sort of come and gone and come back to my pipes, so I haven't smoked continually for thes 37 years, just off and on. I'm back now and enjoying it more than ever.

Just get what you can afford and a tobacco that fits your taste. I'm really liking a tobacco called Black Gold, an aromatic, from Hiland's Cigar. Plus have been smoking a English, English Lite, from the same supplier. I think it's my fav, as of this post. My wife likes the Black Gold better as it smells awesome. I've gotten zero bite from either of these tobaccos.

On the Virginia tobaccos, I'm trying Samual Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox and Orlik Golden Sliced. All good but I haven't gotten the hang of the Virginias yet.

Whatever you decide, have fun, relax and don't get caught up in the hype of, "you gotta do this or that". Enjoy !!! God bless and have a great week.

Hotshot - aka Rob

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Welcome, pipe smoking takes a bit to get the hang of, but just keep at it and it will be like riding a bike eventually. I suggest you try a flavored black cavendish blend as they're low in nicotine and have the flavors you're looking for. But don't get it stuck in your head that you need to smoke a certain blend, I always thought I'd smoke aromatics if I smoked a pipe but then had a light english blend my first time and fell in love with it. I'd stay away from virginia's in the beginning and stick to either mild english blends or light aromatics. It depends on if you want a leathery woodsy smokey kind of taste or a sweet taste pretty much, but there are some aro's that use latakia in them, which may give you what you're looking for.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
fully understand where you're coming from as I had never smoked either.

Weird. Its sort of like learning to fly fish if you've never fished before, or like learning to drive and learning to drive stick at the same time.
On the other hand, your palette hasn't been deadened from years of cigarette and cigar smoke, so you might appreciate it better.
May I suggest starting out with a nice mild Virginia, low in nicotine say Fribourg and Treyer Golden Mixture, or Peterson's Sherlock Holmes.
I wish you every luck in the world.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
The Old Cajun was right on the money with "don't over think it." I am an extreme newb and during my first few experiences I was definitely over thinking it. It's one thing to apply the wealth of advice you will get on this site, but I tended to really stress on the intricacies and application to such a degree that I wasn't enjoying myself. I expected to read everyone's technique and suddenly be an expert. When that wasn't the case, I got frustrated. I have finally told myself to simply relax and slow down. I won't be an expert overnight, but I don't need to be. And with that, I am really enjoying my new hobby.

matchstick

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
It doesn't have to be complicated. The idea is not to stress over it. Stuff baccy in the big hole, light it and suck on the small hole. Beyond that you are refining your technique and your own personal rituals for relaxation. This is a never ending process.The tobacco you love today (and indeed even the pipe) you may hate next month. The starting with a cav blend is very sound advice. There is no right or wrong, just some things seem to work a lot better than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.