PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi,Pardners,just had a thought to ask for your view on two all time favorite flake tobaccos ,The Capstan* Gold Navy Cut and Orlik Golden Sliced, do you happen to find these tobaccos something similar in strenghtwise and overall flavor profile,though inasmuch I'm aware of the first one does not contain perique tobacco but may it still be a little fuller in taste , Thank you for your opinions,they are most welcome, wishing to y'all a nice and restful weekend.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I love both of them, but I prefer OGS as an all day. I even prefer Capstan Blue over Yellow, but you CANNOT go wrong with either.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Ashdigger' and thank you for your comments,yes OGS has something in it that you wanna keep it handy all time,btw-in these few months I been discovering to my great surprise, how marvellous is the quality of tobaccoes produced German micro Blender HU Tobacco, by your choice you can find them online at shop.HU-tobacco.de

All right, so much for that , have a Grat Day, Paul

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You have 2 very good blends there, Paul. I find OGS to have a nice citrus character to it that makes for a fine hot weather smoke. As for the HU blends- all top shelf in my book.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Papipeguy, yes OGS got something citrusy fragrance +light pepperyness that keeps me returnig to this product once and again, and am surpriced how masterly mr H Widemann the owner and masterblender of HU Tobacco.Germany is doing his job,

It was my pleasure,thanks for your thoughts, Be well,chat later, Paul

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only straight VA I've smoked in recent years is Dunhill, and I'm on my last tin and probably won't reorder again. I find it rather boring, prefer DNR for the perique in it. Straight VA flakes like Dunhill and Capstan all pretty much taste the same to me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Capstan or Dunhill flake strike me as a more mature Virginia approach, as opposed to the "breakfast cereal" flavor of OGS.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi,Deathmetal, I'm observing the same as you did, coming to conclution I may still prefer the OGS over the forementioned classics,finding it more crispy /fresh-spicey,cigarettish and definivetely it will bite if puffed even a hair too vigurously have learned that scary thing on my own.Have a Nice time,

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Both are good Navy flakes

They are just flakes. "Navy Flakes" are those with a rum topping, as a rule. None of the flakes mentioned in this thread refer to themselves as such.
Personally, I'll take Capstan Blue over the Yellow, and either one over the Orlik. The Dunhill Flake is lovely stuff; been smoking it for years.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
OGS fresh tastes grassy and hey like to the point I really dislike it. Add about 15 years and it is a superstar. Fresh Capstan Gold has some nice citrus flavors and none of the grassy hey like flavors the OGS has. It should age quite well.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Capstan Blue has "Original Navy Cut" printed on the front of the tin. Not trying to be contrarian, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.