PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Advance on the hill! The Bull Ants are coming! I need scissors! 66!
Sorry. What were we talking about again?

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Sorry about all of that.
Comoy's Wimbledon listed on Ebay cheap.
Only it isn't a Comoy's. It is a Wimbledon stamped, which is a Briarcraft / Grabow manufactured.
It is a very nice looking pipe, and worth the under $20 (including shipping) I paid for it.
Not sure why it was represented as a Comoy's. The markings are not right for that. It is stamped Wimbledon, and Comoy's makes a style of pipe with that name, but that is about it.
I had to do some research to figure out just what it was.
Anyhow, that is about that.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Like a lot of pipe brands, it is hard to trace the exact lineage on it, and I am far from a pipe expert.
So far as I can tell....
Briarcraft made a lot of pipes. At one time they were a big pipe line. Also made some pipes for other folks, or stamped names on them. L.L. Bean being one. They also made secondary lines, Smokemaster being one of them, and that line was bought by Grabow in the mid 60's. As well, Wimbledon was a secondary line.
So, the pipe was advertised on Ebay as a Comoy's Wimbledon pipe, but it is more along the line of a Kaywoodie in style and value. There is a Comoy's Wimbledon pipe, but this is not it at all. I do think it was made prior to the 1950's, but that is only a half educated guess. Or a minimally educated guess.
Anyhow, it is a handsome pipe and will likely smoke well, if what I am reading about the Briarcraft pipes is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.