Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Scanning the threads here, I see we don't have one dedicated to Comoy's and specifically the pre-Cadogan era.
My Comoy's, a small but treasured group
499 Extraordinaire (held the #1 spot on my Holy Grail list)

498 Extraordinaire

440 Tradition - the little brother to the 498 and also stamped as shape 283 on older pipes.

284 Tradition

Reactions: kashmir

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
@ssjones

How about kashmir?

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-off-your-comoys-pipe-here#post-439729
I only have two Comoy's and both not from pre-Cadogan period. It is totally not easy to locate one that is at a good bargain price.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@ssjones

Then let me follow with a question:

To my knowledge, all Comoy's production with an original 3-part-C stem are from the pre-Cadogan era.

Is it correct?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I am a Comoy fan boy, so great thread. New and old, all good for me. Consensus, pre-Cadogan era more better. Will follow it for sure.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@sablebrush52

It is a nice idea, but I secretly lament about it... because I still want to acquire some of them and their price without our added discussion is already constantly quite high at the moment.

Okay, let's talk about them and I'm prepared to add a few more hundreds to get some of them. :twisted:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Another thing to keep an eye out for are some of the Comoy's seconds, or private label pipes. This is shape 229, marked Majestic. Pre-Cadogan...pre-war, marked with the "rugby shape" MADE IN ENGLAND. The pictures don't do the original, richly colored finish of this pipe justice!
majestic-014-600x449.jpg

majestic-007-600x449.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, it is generally accepted that pipes made before the merger were of a better quality, just like GBD.

The 3 pc C logos are easy to restore, that is a nice bonus.

I like the way the stems feel in my mouth, they are a bit harder and like Sasieni in that area. My few are drilled perfectly and smoke great.

Tradition grades aren't terribly pricy, particularly if you are willing to do some restoration work. The 283 and 440 were just over $100.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I've been in love with Comoy pipes since my first a Golden Grain bought in 1960. I had 10 of them and gave 5 away to pipe friends including a Blue Riband apple #357c. I've kept a Selected Straight Grain pot, a pencil shanked sandblast billiard, a pencil shanked Grand Slam billiard, the Golden Grain Canadian, and a Tradition OomPaul.

The Comoy of that era had style and grace. If it had a three part "C", it had no flaws and the wood was well cured. The big seller was the bit. Each had a hand cut mouthpiece that was delicate and felt almost invisible in the mouth. In short it was perfect at an affordable price.
That old wood smoked like a champ from the first bowlful.
What is sold today as a Comoy is a crime...or should be.
That's my rant.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have one of Pepesdad1's pipes, a Sandblast lovat! The button had to be cut off, but I put a rubber bit on it and it smokes like a champ. It has become my workshop pipe, what I smoke when I'm working on pipes.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Just a suggestion but everyone might not understand exactly what Pre-Codogan Comoy means. A little history might help.SS or someone else might want to give some parameters as to what's implied by that term. I think historical threads represent a great way to expand the overall knowledge of members but should always be prefaced with the information of how that brand evolved and a time line in which that evolution occurred. I have been genuinely impressed with the individual knowledge apparent on this forum but sometimes think we take it for granted and unjustifiably so. This site has the potential to be a great resource of knowledge to many yet to come. I think we all need to be willing to contribute based on what we individually know but should never assume that others share that understanding. Instead we should state clearly what is implied and in doing so provide an invaluable research archive. Just my opinion. Others thoughts?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Okay.....it's a short read...
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Comoy%27s
also with a lot of useful links on dating, shape code numbers, and lines of seconds.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
With Comoy's pipes, it is all about the nomenclature and stem logo.
A 3 pc drilled "C" logo determines if it was made before the merger with Cadogan in 81-81.

The COM (Country of Manufacture) stamp then tells the age.
On my 498, this stamp was used in until 1938. The arched "Comoy's" is important. England is not used in the COM football shaped marque.

While still utilizing the 3 pc C logo. This Tradition was made from the 1950's to the merger point and adds "London" to the football marque. This is the Comoy's era pipe most commonly seen on Ebay, etc.

This stamp is a "tweener", I think most likely made just after WWII ended. The nomenclature is weak, but legible on my 498. It has the arched "Comoy's used priot to 1938, but "London" is added to the COM marque.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Another thing to keep an eye out for are some of the Comoy's seconds.."
Great thread. I recently got two vintage Comoy Guildhall Zulus and there are very nice with great looking briar. I like the three silver bars on the stem. I disagree that the current production is bad, my opinion. I have a couple current production and to me they are good for a $100 +/- pipe.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
dmcmtk, that's perfect. A lot of information and some great links. SS the dating info was very useful. I'm very familiar with GBD but Comoy was a little vague. Thanks to you both.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Anyone? Yeah, a bit different. ssjones keeps buying up all the traditional shapes and this is all that's left. I think this thing beamed down from the sky as no info anywhere. 8 1/2" long, Bore is 1 1/16" and weight is only 3.5 oz
2ijrcsl.jpg

vxkqp5.jpg

orumib.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, A Comoy's collector thread could scarcely be opened with better specimens. My personal favorite is the Comoy's pot shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.