PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Finished cleanup on this small bent billiard. No make or name stamp at all, but stamped on the upper left of the shank is the pre war 'Made In England' flattened circle stamp. The right side had 916 stamped. No other stamping at all. Quite a small pipe, less than five inches heel to bit. Very small bit with tiny slot, good drilling. Not a fill or pit to be seen. No wear to the pipe at all.
Anyone seen a 900 series stamp on a comoy product? This pipe seems too nice to be a second, maybe intended as a house pipe?

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I do not smoke my Comoy pipes very often so I found two from the drawer.A speciman st.grain 28 and a London

Pride 189.Both stamped made in London in a circle and under that England straight.
The shape is not in the Comoy`s Pipe Compendium.
I have seen on ebay that the new (Cadogan) Loewes have 900 shapenumbers instead of names'

And when that is said I also have a newer Loewe Picadilly canadian (from the 90ties as far as I remember)

stamped 296 which is the same as one of Comoys canadians.

What a mess.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I did not find the shape in one of my Loewe catalogs either.The newest one is from the 60ties.
Jorgen

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Thanks Jorgen. I have a known prewar Comoy's DeLuxe with an identical country of origin stamp, so I feel pretty comfortable in the manufacturer, and most of the seconds I have DO share a common shape number. But I haven't seen a comoy related pipe with a similar shape, or a shape number that high.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Thank you doctor - I am getting wiser.
I have a Rosbery Extra pipe which I always have taken for being a Comoy product.I mean,the head office was at

72-82 Rosebery Avenue and we once had a Comoy Rosebery Flake.

I would call it a tulip shape,army with nickel mount. Stamped arched London Made and the shape number is 4338.
Maybe we are talking about production out of the ordinary not in any catalog
Jorgen

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Chacom and Comoys have same shapenumbers,right ?
By Chacom a bulldog saddle is number 5,the same in the Comoy catalog.

The same bulldog with tapper is number 947 by Chacom - not mentioned

by Comoy.
A shape as yours with saddle is number 101 by Chacom.Could it be 916

with a tapper stem ?

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Thanks Jorgen, What gets me about the pipe is that if it was intended as a house pipe they didn't leave much room for the merchant stamp. And I don't think that I have ever seen a Comoy with the COM on the left of the pipe. I don't think it is a Chacom, just due to the COM stamp. But I certainly could be wrong about that.
The pipe certainly has an old feel to it, diamond shank billiards fell out of popularity by the 1930's, the bit is very small but slotted (not orific). And like I noted earlier not a fill on it. I would guess it as a Group 2 in size. I think she is a very sweet little pipe, I put a bowl of FMC through and she stayed sweet and dry.
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.