PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Hi there
This wee thing is fresh off the bench. A Comoy's Grand Slam that took just a minor bit of fettling to bring back to regular rotation. The sterling band had been fitted at some time in the past and I believe the stem is a replacement. However, it draws nicely and its a treat to smoke.
Here it was as it arrived
comoys-grand-slam-before-600x195.png

Here it is as I finished it
comoys-grand-slam-after-600x295.png

The nomenclature is in good shape - Comoy's / Grand Slam / Patent on the left side of the shank. Round "Made in England" on the right side of shank toward the sterling stem band, with a model number of 296 toward the bowl on the right hand of the shank.
I was aiming for a respectful renovation - a wee topping, a brisk clean and a re-waxing/polish.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Very nice work. I like what appears to be a slight forward cant of the bowl.
If you get a chance, could you post a straight on side shot?
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, the perceived forward cant of the bowl in the oblique photo seems to disappear in the side shot, but it does show off the lovely burl and color.
Should be a fun smoker. Thanks for the additional shot.
jay-roger.jpg

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
You're welcome - the forward cant in the first photo is definitely a foreshortening effect from the cell phone camera lens.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The 296, one of Comoy's most popuar shapes. Does the pipe still have hardware (the Grand Slam stinger)? I suspect not from what you said about the stem. Nice old pipe no matter what, I think you will find it to be an excellent smoker.
:)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice job on the restoration, respectful indeed! That stem is surely a replacement, but sure does have good looking button, so done well. Enjoy!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I've loved every one of my Comoys...most I've given to a good friend...I kept 2...a Golden Grain Canadian and a Comoy #17 OomPaul...wonderful smokers all. Al has one...a Lovat sandblast.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
To Al's comment - Comoy's stinger apparatus was not present in the stem - the tenon profile is stepped as well. There is no sign of branding on the stem - my reading on Comoy's practises for this model of pipe indicates they'd feature a two-toned bar on the left side of the stem. I'm pretty sure then the stem is a replacement. The button is quite nicely shaped and the slot is quite wide - whomever did this work back in the day did a fine job.
I stand on the shoulders of giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.