PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thought I'd start a thread on classic English bulldogs. Specifically, bulldogs cut by Comoy. I have a half dozen, but these three form the core.
The one in the middle, the Grand Slam, came to me quite beat up, with the rusted stinger still in place, and a half century's worth of grime. After rehabilitation, and removal of the offending stinger, I was surprised to find a wonderful field of bird's eye on both sides of the bowl.
Comoy's Old Bruyere (4), Grand Slam (398) and Blue Riband Straight Grain stamped (409).
IMAG0306-1-1-1-1.jpg

Here follows the Grand Slam.
IMAG0287-1-1-1.jpg

IMAG0289-1.jpg

IMAG0290-1.jpg

IMAG0289-1-1.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Wow! Very nice. Amazing birdseye. And great camera work. That's what makes this forum great.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've seen one of those before. Very nice! Which one is your favorite? And how does the Grand Slam smoke without the stinger? I've been tempted to buy Grand Slam estates, but was wary of the stinger system.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents. As for the camera work, its all done on an Android G4 cellphone camera. Great post processing functions on the phone. Regarding stingers, I always remove them. Some slide out, others screw out, some easy, some not. I don't like anything between me and my tobacco, save a clean draft. I'd highly recommend buying estate Comoys. Try to go for the earlier three part C stem logos. They're pre-Cadogan merger and date from the mid 70s on back to the 20s. Just much better pipes than the post 70s line up IMHO. Mr. Can on eBay is a good source for these. I've got close to 38 now, and nearly all are great smokers, with a large handful of Fred Hanna majik smokers in there as well. Comoy is known for cutting very thin bits, which make clenching a joy. Neill Archer Roan is a well known collector and has some really nice blog postings on brand Comoy. Well worth checking out.

Aug 1, 2012
Those are absolutely beautiful. The birdseye on the Grand Slam is about as perfect as you can get.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
kashmir, every time I see that incredible birdseye, I drool. I don't own any classic English bulldogs and the only pipe I might have that is a bulldog is this Jody Davis Cardinal Grade. Would this be considered a Bulldog or a Rhodesian?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kashmir, thanks for the compliment on the pipe. So I don't have a traditional bulldog, but a rhodog. LOL I could never tell what the hell it is, but since it does not have a diamond shank, I guess I should call it a Rhodesian. I got that one from Two Friends and grabbed it for what I thought was a great deal in comparison to the original retail.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Kashmir, as a clencher how heavy do you generally like your pipes to be? I love the straight bulldogs but I generally see them in the 50gm plus range which seems pretty heavy to me

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The top two are well under 50g, being group 3 in size. I'd place them at 30-40g. The 409 on the bottom may approach 50g, being a group 4 or 5 in size. These older Comoys are really light in weight, perhaps due to curing processes insuring a thoroughly dry resin free block. I see this in early Dunhills as well. Remarkably Ashtons while usually much larger pipes are also very light given their size. For instance a large XXX Pebble Grain group 6 in size is usually well under 50g. As a clencher nearly all of pipes are under 50g. My heaviest pipes are a pair of Radice June Bugs at 62g.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Incredible pipes!
I haven't been interested in bulldogs before, but your post has changed my mind. What did you use to clean the outside of the bowls? Beautiful work.
Ebay has a patent print for the Grand Slam listed.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Regarding advice on the rehabilitation of estate pipes, there's no better place than pastor Steve Laug's site REBORN PIPES. Steve takes you through a step by step process, with clear before and after photographs, on how to go from an old, beatup estate to a stunning new pipe. I'm not kidding. Reading Steve's website will allow you to score some remarkable vintage estate pipes for very cheap and turn them into your best smokers. More than three quarters of my collection are estates. The best way to establish a fine affordable rotation. Seasoned estates are the way to go IMHO.
Here is the link:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
And here a link to Neill Arch Roan's blog, the index for Comoy entries. Some great stuff.
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/display/Search?searchQuery=comoy&moduleId=6503547&moduleFilter=&categoryFilter=&startAt=0

stylus156

Lurker
Mar 29, 2013
The Bulldog is my favorite - and that Grand Slam is spectacular.
Rare briar indeed and very nice grain.
M.

Status
Not open for further replies.