PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have a Comoy (Not Comoy's) Rover with a simple "C" stamped on the stem. It appears to be a shape 186 that, judging by the number of prominent fills, was deemed unworthy of the additional manufacturing steps required for a proper Comoy's 186. The result is a decent pipe with thicker bowl walls than one would find on a Comoy's 186.
I purchased my Rover for a pittance quite a while back. In the past couple of weeks I have seen a couple of its identical siblings spring up on eBay (see here and here). So, to my question: does anybody have any information about these pipes? I do not see Rover listed by Pipedia as a Comoy's second.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
They are Cadogan era pipes, note they no longer have the three piece C on the stems.
"Comoy’s remained a family owned company until it was finally taken over by Cadogan Investments during the early 1980’s. Cadogan have continued to manufacture Comoy pipes to the present day and, under Michael Adler, the Comoy brand is their flagship and efforts are being made to once more re-instate the well known quality of the brand. Cadogan first changed the “C” to a single drilling with an inlay that had the “C” in the centre, and more recently it became a laser imprint."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, the stamped C would indicate production after approximately 1982. I found nothing else. The singular "Comoy" is interesting. A few weeks ago, I restored and sold a "Royal Comoy". While it had the 3 pc stem logo indicating it was made prior to '82, it didn't feel like a high-grade pipe to me. There is information available on the higher grade "Blue Riband", etc.. But the answers to these kind of questions on the lower grades are lost to time.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks gents. These pipes have been something of a mystery. The only detail that remains a wildcard is the one-line "Made in England" stamp. I have never seen a Cadogan-era pipe with that stamp. I thought Cadogan pipes made under the BBB, GDB, and Comoy's brands used the circular "Made in London England" stamp.
I had not given my Rover much thought until I saw identical pipes on eBay. I wonder if I will ever see a Rover in a shape other than 186.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Stupid question: you're sure your pipe's C is stamped?
I only ask because the origin of the Rover actually dates back at least to the late thirties. Its first appearance in Cigar & Tobacco World's annual listing of Fancy Goods Brands is in 1939. I'm missing a bunch of years, but the Rover appears in the 1939-1941 editions, and is gone by the 1955 issue. Of course presence or absence isn't definitive. All this really proves is that the Rover was a name used by Comoy at least before WWII. It may well have been produced intermittently over the years. But even if your C is stamped, somewhere out there are Rovers with a three part C.

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
I once owned a rover and parted ways with it. Not much value and not a collectable piece. The newer productions do not have the collectors hungry. When Cadogan took over, the prestige and reputation plundered. I have a 4 dot (not four dot) that is a newer production that performs beautifully. In terms of smokeability, as i remember, the rover performed well.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
jguss, Mine has a stamped "C". The existence of early Rovers is interesting. Thanks for the information. I will get some pictures of the nomenclature on my example.
briardan, I have yet to smoke mine, as it still needs to be cleaned up a bit. I expect it will be a good smoker, which is the aspect of the pipe that most concerns me.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Isnt it great how the purchase of a pipe can lead to a mass of research and enquiry, scholarship and debate. A great aspect of this mighty hobby.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
owen, I do so love it. There is no better hobby (obsession?) for a nerd like me.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, Kapster is a seller I should "follow". I have probably "watched" at least one of his items every week for a while now - interesting pieces indeed.
That Rover ended up going for $129.50. I am not sure what is more shocking, the high price he got or the sub-$10 price I paid for mine. Actually, I am sure. He got an insanely high price for that pipe. I know mine has fills whereas I could see none on his, but the price he got makes no sense.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There had to be more to Kapsters Rover than meets the eye, with 15 bidders. That grain pattern sure was pretty. One of the last of the quality Cadogan-era Comoys?

Status
Not open for further replies.