PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I know it's been awhile since I've posted anything substantial, so I guess I'll start here.
I've been wanting to have a pipe commissioned for quite some time now, and as such I've been looking at quite a few carvers out there. All of who are creating some beautiful pipes. I've seen some here, and I've seen some on some of the pipe groups on Facebook, and some on another forum or two. You really don't realize outside of the normally talked about artisan pipe makers just how many are out there until you really start looking around. And when you aren't really looking, just trying to enjoy reading posts or looking at pipes here or on Facebook, it seems you find even more! I was beginning to think I'd never be able to make up my mind on who to contact to make my first commissioned pipe. So in a way, it was quite by accident that I found a guy by the name of Will Crawford. He has been posting some of his latest creations on Facebook under the name William Anderson Pipes... Anderson being his middle name. You may not have heard of him but I think he's going to go far. It was one of his pipes that I really fell in love with the shaping of and I just had to have one similar.
williampipe.jpg
[/url][/img]
So I sent him a message asking out of curiosity what a similar pipe would cost me. It was definitely a cost I could live with, but I'm an indecisive procrastinator... although I think my mind was somewhat made up that I wanted Will to carve my pipe. So a few days of thinking about it, and a few messages back and forth between Will and I, I decided to go for it.
Talking with Will has been a real treat. He's been easy to deal with and has encouraged me to ask questions and have feedback between the two of us. And from our messages, he seems to truly enjoy what he's doing. So I decided I wanted a pipe similar to the one in the photo above, but with a cumberland stem because I've always wanted a pipe with a cumberland. I also wanted a shank extension or some such with exotic wood. Originally. I thought maybe a bit of Brazilian rosewood, common on guitar fretboards, because I play guitar. He mentioned spalted maple, and I'm glad he did. Spalted maple is quite nice and I hadn't even thought about it. Throughout all of this, we've chatted a few times about pipes, tobacco blends we like, myself getting into pipe carving and I'm sure one or two other things. It's been fun. So he's working on my pipe now and I do have a couple photos of the pipe so far, so I thought I'd share them here. Because we just love pipe photos here.
As you can see in this photo, the shaping is already coming along quite nicely
williampipecommission.jpg
[/url][/img]
And this photo told me and Will both that there appears to be some really nice grain hiding in there.
williampipecommission2.jpg
[/url][/img]
And that's the story so far on my first commission pipe. I'll post more photos as they come, and I really think the end result is going to be quite nice. Look up William Anderson Pipes on Facebook if you'd like to see a few more of his pipes. Good stuff.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Wow ... that's a beaut! :clap:
Really nice to see you back on the forum as well, Anthony!

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks, Cobguy. I missed reading up on everything here. I hope everyone's been well. I've been trying to get back to posting a bit more again and I thought this post would be perfect for it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice Anthony. If your pipe turns out as beautiful as the first pic you will be a very happy fella for sure. Look forward to seeing more progress pics. :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Jkrug, that pipe alone is stunning. And I agree. I think the one he's crafting for me is going to turn out great.
Click, definitely some Danish influence in some of his pipes. He really does some beautiful shaping.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Had to look up spalted maple, gorgeous stuff, think that's gonna be a winner with Cumberland!

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving in the U.S. and those of you outside I hope had a wonderful weekend.
With the Thanksgiving holiday over, William has gotten back to work on the pipe and he sent me some new photos. It's looking pretty nice so far and I thought I'd share the new photos. It seems to be shaping up quite nicely and he has drilled the airway, the mortise, and the chamber. I'm quite pleased so far, and I'm loving watching it progress.
williampipecommission3.jpg
[/url][/img]
williampipecommission4.jpg
[/url][/img]
williampipecommission5.jpg
[/url][/img]
williampipecommission6.jpg
[/url][/img]
She's got some nice curves, eh? :D

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good for you. There's nothing more exciting than seeing your pipe in the process of being made. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the end result. Congrats and enjoy.

Jan 8, 2013
I really gotta tell you all... having a pipe made special for you is quite exciting. And having one willing to send you photos helps keep you from pacing back and forth from days on end in impatience... I'm guessing... this is after all my first commissioned pipe, and I've been quite patient and have had fun just receiving the photos and sharing them here. And of course chatting back and forth with the maker has been a treat as well.... and a learning experience. Last night Will sent me a message asking about the stem... button width and height and all that. Well I've never really thought much of all that to be honest so I grabbed a couple pipes that I favor and took some quick measurements and, all in all, I think we got it dialed down pretty good.
Today he sent me a few new photos... yay!... and I gotta tell you, this thing, I think is going to be a real beauty when it's done. So here ya go... more photos! :D
This one he actually sent the other day, and I just never got around to posting it here. So I'll do so now. As you can see, he's done some refining hand chisel work to the stummel and began work on the stem. And of course added the spalted maple.
williampipecommission6a.jpg
[/url][/img]
And here the stem looks a bit more like a stem and it appears he's done some refining work. Everything, including the stem, extension, and stummel, appear to be looking quite flush.
williampipecommission7.jpg
[/url][/img]
Looks like some really nice pattern hiding in that stem, just waiting to be let out. I'm quite excited about this actually, because it's my first ever cumberland.
williampipecommission8.jpg
[/url][/img]
And here is a side profile. Everything's coming together quite wonderfully.
williampipecommison9.jpg
[/url][/img]
And of course I'll post more photos as they come to me.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow that looks fantastic. I can't wait to see the finished product.
It seems every time I think im going to get my first commissioned pipe with my first Cumberland stem I contact the person and find they aren't doing commissions. First Rad Davis then Walt Cannoy. I need to pull the trigger and talk to this guy.
What's the best way to contact him? Facebook? Does he have a website? Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Really nice proportion and balance on that one, very attractive. It's like having a bespoke suit, but now that no one wears suits much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.