PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Is it somehow rude to ask a pipe maker copy another pipemaker or companys work?
I usually look at the pipetalk forum and see pipes I really like, but they are allmost one-of-a-kind or out of my price range.

How will they respond if I send a picture and ask for a copy?

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Depends on the maker. When I see something I like I talk with a maker and show what I like and ask them to do their version of it. I don't ever expect a maker to copy someone's else work exactly.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
No, theirs version is probably a better terminology. What attracts me usually is the colour, of stem, bowl etc.
But I usually just like traditional shapes, so the shapes are not new

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
What pipe are you wanting to get made and who are you thinking of doing it?

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
What pipe are you wanting to get made and who are you thinking of doing it?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@Geirove
That is a good question.
My personal take on it is that each carver can look at a design and than tweak it, not because he is trying not to copy it, but simply because his skills will differ from the original carver.
After all, a pipe has two holes in it and how many really original designs are there? Most talented carvers studied under great masters and had to pick up styles from there masters.
That's my take on it

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
002-400-0796.jpg

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
When they see a Claudio Cavicchi pipe, it would probably turn the maker off. But im not expecting a Cavicchi pipe, just the about the same colour

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
What's your budget? Are you wanting the same shape or just the colors?

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
What's your budget? Are you wanting the same shape or just the colors?
Same colours, in Rhodesian or Bulldog shape. My budget, dont know. Maybe up to 300.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Might be hard in that budget. I would contact Ian Walker of northern briars in that price range. Chris Askwith would be my first choice but more expensive.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I was thinking about Chris Askwith actually, cause he has also made a pipe for another member here that I was quite found of.

How much do you think it will cost?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Some will, some won't. The pipe you posted isn't an issue at all, nothing that's a really unique signature style of one particular maker. Fwiw, Claudio adds a ton of shapes to his lineup by seeing a pipe he likes and copying it. There is a fantastic interview with him buried somewhere in the smokingpipes blog archives. It's worth searching for. He shows a couple examples of pipes he found a picture of and liked, then his version of it.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Some will, some won't. The pipe you posted isn't an issue at all, nothing that's a really unique signature style of one particular maker. Fwiw, Claudio adds a ton of shapes to his lineup by seeing a pipe he likes and copying it. There is a fantastic interview with him buried somewhere in the smokingpipes blog archives. It's worth searching for. He shows a couple examples of pipes he found a picture of and liked, then his version of it
Thank you! I will search for it

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've begun two commissions with Michael Parks, each of them began with me sending photos of a different Dunhill pipe and asking for his take on each one, a Diplomat and a Squat straight bulldog. All created things are inspired by something else. Why not be up front and provide the inspiration since you're the one paying ;)

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
That's a beautiful pipe. You have good taste. It's sort of like an Eskimo.

marco-cascia-eskimo-3-600x600.jpg

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
A smooth Askwith custom would probably be in the 450 to 500 range. I know he and I are talking about a smooth bent bulldog and if he can do it would be 500. The bulldog is the hardest shape for him and the rhodesions the second. The only way to truly know is either chat with him on Facebook or send an email. Ian walkers smooth pipes are in the 200-250 range if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.