PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I have several pipes that after being smoked and cleaned the stems are hard to get back in the shank and in fact won't go all the way. The usually lack about a sixteenth of an inch or less. Is there a remedy for this other than Vaseline?

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I have a couple of estates that had this problem.

I took some 220 grit paper and rolled it up and very gently sanded the interior of the shank.

Works very well for me.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
When I first got them the weren't that way. It's only been after several smokes they've become like that.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I had a box of beeswax I once used as a flux when I first started casting bullets. I looked for it about a month ago for the purpose of my meer and of course it couldn't be found. Must have been 12-16 pieces about an inch in diameter/height. I guess I need to order some. I had thought of that but remembered not finding it.
I'm a little skiddish about sandpaper as they didn't cause that problem when new or after the first smoke. Maybe I'm not letting them cool long enough.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't pull apart a pipe for several hours and sometimes leave them over night to cool. You might want to try that before you start sanding anything.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have enough pipes that when I finish one, I put it in a basket. Next day, I take the pipes in the basket and clean them. Never had much problem with the Vulcanite tenons swelling.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Likely did not let it cool down enough. Give it a few hours to ensure that it has completely cooled and I don't think you will have an issue. Would not sand it at all until you know exactly what is going on there.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've had the same problem with my cob stems; I waited until the next day and they still wouldn't fit properly...

adam12

May 16, 2011
I have to do it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikBTNVSCJM

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm with most other comments here.... Sanding may cause problems later as the pipes age. Use beeswax.

Brier takes a long time to warm or heat completely, even when it may feel hot to the touch when your

smoking.... and take hours to cool completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.