PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Snake bashing! (facepalm) I'm sure all of us have seen this plastered all over the news and how 'deadly' the media is making them out to be.

ARRGG!! The snake didn't constrict the kids because he wasn't/didn't eat them!! It was simply laying on top of them b/c they are warm! Cats do the same damn thing!! I hate it when the media exploits and exaggerates information that isn't true or that important to the story so the sheeple will follow and believe. I used to have a ball python named Bart who was about 4' long and close to 25 lb. He was very friendly and wouldn't hurt anyone. People liked him because of his docile temperment and his carefree attitude towards loud noises/vibratons. I was forced to give him up b/c the tenant (and I'm being nice here) that was living below me at the time said to the police "I'm scared it's going to jump on me in my sleep and strangle and eat me". I was SO pissed off at the ignorance of everyone involved (including the OSPCA) in the situation and rather than causing a scene I gave him up. The media preys off the ignorant and misinformed and leads them down a road to be even more misinformed and ignorant to the subject(s) at hand. Think about this, snakes won't bother with prey/predator unless it's hungry, frightened, or, as it appears to me in this case, cold. Snakes (espically constricters) don't kill prey for future consumption due to the simple fact they like their food warm and warm food is easier to swallow and digest. Bart used to curl up on my chest/stomach if I was laying down, or he would crawl into the hood or pocket on my sweater. Snakes like to be warm and will find heat sources where they can find them no matter what that source is. Many times my snake would fall asleep in my pockey or hood and I would carry about my business. A couple times I had forgotten he was in my hood and went to leave the house then felt his tongue tickling the back of my neck so I had to turn around and bring him back to his enclosure. I had Bart from about 2mo after he hatched until he was almost 3yr old. Such a young animal to have euthanised because of ignorance.
It's a pretty sad society when people will believe what they see on TV rather than hard facts. People have become so lazy that reading is too much like a time consuming chore and rather than educate themselves they just assume the media has their facts right 'because they are the media, who else would know better but them?'
I miss my snake and I would love to get another one, two, or a few more. Variety is the spice of life afterall! lol
Hope I haven't grossed anyone out but I felt I should share my thought on this while I enjoyed my morning pipe and coffee. Time to get ready for work now! Hope everyone has/had a nice day!! :puffy:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
While I think snakes have cute heads... they still scare the crap out of me... to the point of almost crying. Also this post was quite informative, and for that I thank you.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Do you happen to have a link to the original broadcast so I could see it? I'm with you though, for the most part they are pretty harmless. I had a girlfriend who had one once and probably the worst thing I had to deal with was it escaping and having to hunt it down. 9/10 times it was inside the couch

Aug 1, 2012
I don't own one but have no problem with snakes. Tarantulas on the other hand are just my phobia supersized. I wouldn't make a neighbor get rid of one but if I found it in my house the "home defense" shotgun would be used (I kid, I'd probably just run away).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think adopting a snake is unfair to the snake, which is better off in its natural habitat.

If fact, it's better for everyone. I suppose the same should apply to all other pets, but

the hypocrite in me says birds, cats and dogs are exempt. Why? I dunno.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Snakes are okay. Pet snakes are okay too. Wife likes them, I've a lot of respect for them. Problem comes in when people are idiots and just throw together small children and potentially harmful pets. For example, we rehomed our two ferrets when we learned wife was pregnant, since one of the ferrets was quite the nipper. We would have rehomed the cats as well if they didn't take well to the baby. A while back we read something about these people getting a new dog and leaving it unsupervised with a 2 year old, and the dog basically ate the child. To blame the pet for the owner's irresponsibility is ludicrous. But such is the world we live in......

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Some Vipers are truly dangerous and cunning, with extremely toxic venom and even have hypnotic abilities. The best way to protect yourself from the very worst of these is to turn off your TV.

dunringill

Lurker
Feb 4, 2010
I don't like snakes! I think they are almost as bad as lawyers..... I'm just kidding, please don't sue me.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The news likes to sensationalize things - you know how that goes. Personally I never had a problem with snakes. I used to catch them as a kid, never really desired to keep one as a pet - but they are pretty cool anyway.
The wife loves my snake, though it can be vicious and demanding at times.
lol!

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Yea it's pretty absurd the media circus this one, freak/tragic event has become. People are calling for blood, and bans. It's really absurd. One guy was calling for a ban on "exotics", which is pretty meaningless, I think that includes my 250 gram Leopard Tortoise, who has killed a whole tonne of Dandelions, but pretty much nothing else.
Anyone know how many kids die in a pools every year? I wonder when the pool ban will come along.
But, in conjunction with that, it is important to remember this particular snake owner was not qualified or licensed to own this particular snake breed (which is supposed to be regulated). This wasn't a ball python, which are semi-domesticated. The owner ought to (and I suspect will be) liable for manslaughter, or negligence or what have you.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I mean, yes, but a snake killing two boys IS sensational. And all of the media reports I've read are saying it is really weird and confusing because this is not a normal behavior for the snakes, although they have killed humans it is really rare. One tidbit I picked up was that the boys went to a farm of some sort and may have smelled like animals to the snake, but that is only a theory at this point.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
This is the once great American media - it's not like there are any world affairs to report about.
My wife was raised where snakes kill people, and is terrified of them. She can actually smell them.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I think adopting a snake is unfair to the snake, which is better off in its natural habitat.

If fact, it's better for everyone. I suppose the same should apply to all other pets, but

the hypocrite in me says birds, cats and dogs are exempt. Why? I dunno.
Cats and dogs (along with ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs and a host of other pet type creatures) are fully domesticated animals. A human home is their natural habitat. And I'm not joking or being facetious here. As domesticated animals, even the adults are locked into a state of juvenile development - both by breeding and training - and, while there are exceptions to the rule, as a whole they don't survive well without their human caretakers.
Snakes, spiders and, I believe, most birds are a different story entirely.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is the once great American media - it's not like there are any world affairs to report about.
They may not always control what people think, but they often control what people think about.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Cats and dogs (along with ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs and a host of other pet type creatures) are fully domesticated animals. A human home is their natural habitat. And I'm not joking or being facetious here. As domesticated animals, even the adults are locked into a state of juvenile development - both by breeding and training - and, while there are exceptions to the rule, as a whole they don't survive well without their human caretakers.
Snakes, spiders and, I believe, most birds are a different story entirely.
Other domesticated animals: Camel, Yak, Silkworm, Silver Fox
Just because it's domestic doesn't mean it would make a good pet. And the opposite also applies. Also consider that Ball Python's are considered semi-domesticated.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Irresponsible snake owners have turned FL into a mess, buy em & when they get to be a PITA, turn them loose in the Everglades. A friend of mine had a 50 gal. aquarium tank with a great piece of finished wood on top as a coffee table, with a eastern diamondback inside, for years. It killed him. Dead! After many years of feeding & loving.

You don't fool around with Mother Nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.