PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Hey yall, just wondering how many 11B's and our beloved Medics, combat vets are on the forum? I had a quick question for any of you. Do you find that smoking helps with any issues that some of us have picked up while vacationing overseas in such lovely places such as Iraq and AFG, Vietnam, etc etc. I know it would never fly in todays society of anti tobacco, but I've found a peace and a partner in my solace with my pipes. Each one is like a friend to me however cheesy that may sound. Different pipes for different blends, and different states of emotion. I write this on another sleepless night at 0142 in now what has become my study. Study of what? I guess trying to quell the memories with the relaxation of some tobacco and some classical music. I am just another tired soul that has been through the ringer, I know there are warfighters much worse off than me by far. Maybe I just wrote this to ease my mind and take up some time while I smoke some EMP out of my sav sitter. Hope everyone is doing well.

capital

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Hello all, I'm a 17 year Navy combat engineer. I agree with u picked up the calming habit in my tours in Kuwait/Iraq it also helped make the place smell better. Now out of the military smoking a pipe and sitting by my campfire is what unwind's me from old thoughts. My thoughts and prayers for those abroad and home

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I retired from the Navy some years ago, but I served a one-year combat tour on river patrol in the Mekong Delta, (1969-70) and during that time my pipe was a frequent solace and good friend. When I was back at our base, I could smoke my pipes and just relax. On patrol I had to be careful about where I smoked because the smell of the smoke would drift through the jungle and bring Charlie down on us faster than you could snap your fingers. I still have many of the pipes that I smoked during that bygone era.
My son is a captain in the 10th mountain division, and served two overseas tours, one in Iraq, the other in Afghanistan. I pray for the safety of all our men and women who are in harms way, and pray that this long nightmare will soon be over.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I was an Engineer in the Army, it was once MOS 62E but I think it is now a 21N. I served in Iraq in 2003. I didn't smoke a pipe then, I smoked cigarettes and chewed a lot of Copenhagen. The vitamin "N", then as it does now, helps soothe the war torn nerves. Operating at such a heightened state of readiness can truly fatigue ones mind, and the escape that pipe smoking can deliver is unparalleled in my opinion. As soldiers we love the structure and routine that pipe smoking entails. Think about it, as soldiers we relied on several inanimate objects to protect us and comfort us. Cleaning my pipe and keeping it in tip top operating condition is no different then cleaning my weapon or protective gear. Another similarity is the camaraderie that is formed. As soldiers we hold a bond with the men and women we served with that, in my experience, is next to impossible to achieve with those who haven't served. Have you ever sat in a VA waiting room and not been able to strike up a conversation with the guy next to you? I haven't. It's a definite brotherhood, no matter which branch you served in. The camaraderie that I have witnessed in this forum, and with other pipe smokers that I have had a pleasure to meet is very similar to that of the brotherhood of service. All in all, I'd say there are a lot of similarities between pipe smoking and serving.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
LOL, so I'm not the only one. Deathandtaxes, I was in 1st ID OIF2 04-05 in Samarra Iraq 1-26INF, Went back for oif7 or whatever the hell it was by late 2007 with 10th Mtn Div. All 11bang bang. Man Copenhagen... that was the cats ass, cope fine cut 24/7 lol. I could have used a pipe back in my later deployments. I want to thank all of you for your combined services to our country, Nam Vets, Kuwait/Iraq Vets, all of you. I grew up reading stories about yall. I sometimes wish I was still in, but my body says no an my mental state couldnt deal with the dog and pony show anymore. Totally agree with doing maintence on my pipes, in fact last night was cleaning out and shining up the nickle bands on my petes! LOL. It is a brotherhood and I'm coming to find out more and more the brotherhood of pipe smokers. It gives me peace and comfort. Still have to hit the gagenhagen at the VA when im waiting 8hrs for some stupid shit to happen lol. Thank you all again!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe groups would seem beneficial for calming and focusing vets, and it would likely be more acceptable

and embraced than a lot of group therapy, medications, and other approaches. Also, pipe circles allow

silence, which might be more efficacious, as a group leveler, that a lot of talk. But the health issues with

tobacco just won't have this happen under any official auspices. Maybe groups could form outside the

system, cobs all around.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
MSO I think you are right on the money. Having some civi mediator sitting there with a bunch of random vets I did it once and it left a horrible taste in my mouth. I am not judging the effects of peoples personal experiences in the military, but I do not think and I quote "allegedly hearing someone while they might have been getting sexually assaulted, but am not sure" should be in the same group as the guy who was engaging underage enemy combatants. This is what happened my first and last visit. I'd rather just hang around with Vets having a good smoke and talking about stuff or not. It's nice to just have the camaraderie again.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if I could talk the VA into supporting a therapy group at a pub and get them to supply a new take home Dunhill at every meet? :rofl: I don't think they'd go for the pub (less damage than all the pills im on) but we don't want anything but the best for our therapy group members! WHO'S INTERESTED!!!! :mrgreen:

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I was shot with a rifle when I was a kid and never quite got over it. When it came time for enlistment when I was going off to college in 1969, I became a conscientious objector; I hope you all can understand. Be that as it may, I have given generously to our vets over the years and would like to know where one could give pipes/tobacco to vets now in the hope of calming the pain...

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Burdnod, I talked to a lady yesterday who saw my veterans hat and thanked me for her service, but she told me both her brothers went to Canada during Vietnam. After my time in the military, I've met men who were coerced into service as a family duty or through friends etc. They were not a good fit for the military. I don't think a mandatory service is the way to go. Some people genuinely are against what the campaign is for and I respect that, others who know in their heart they do not have the fortitude to serve especially if its a good chance you are gonna be assigned as a grunt for whatever the reason I respect that also. I've watched soldiers under fire just sit down and space out and freeze. Not everyone is cut out to be a soldier, a sailor or Marine. Its a lifestyle, it changes and reshapes you and alot of times not for the better. As I read more historical books on previous ages I find everyone generally went through the same feelings and fears. So naw man your ok in my book. I know some people can have some harsh feelings about that. But as long as you did what you thought was right is all that matters. But hey if you have any ferndowns or dunhills I'll send you my address LOL :) hahaah just joking.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Carl, Thanks. I am not a psychiatrist but I suspect that I was afraid that I would like the idea of guns and war; gladly I have never had to test this. I dedicate myself to medicine now and hope that gets me bennies if I make it to heaven. But I am serious about pipes for vets. Anyone got an idea how to proceed?

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I won't lie I enjoyed my job 11B, I was good at it, I learned so much about myself and my limits. But I also experienced emotions on a level I'd never dreamed both good and bad, and wrestle with everything a decade later. If my body hadn't givin up the ghost before my career did I would still be down range right now. As for pipes for vets I seriously think it would help alot. I'm not sure about how to advocate it, but most everyone I served with smoked and dipped or chewed tobacco. While it was good for nicotine it did not have the relaxing properties smoking a pipe gives. I've turned one of my friends onto it and he was dumbfounded. He just went in and bout a MM Cobb and some custom blended baccy and when he got home lit up and was text'd me right away and told me it changed his entire mental state and demeanor. It was $14 dollars well spent. Does anyone have any ideas how to advocate something like this? I know how much it helped me... not so much my wallet but on an emotional basis.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I wonder if starting a facebook group for people interested and link it to pipes magazine forums would work? Or is that even allowed?

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Thought I'd throw this in for laughs. A not so happy Carl after 15hrs of patrol and house to house oif2

1380298_10151672649151712_2010590222_n.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Canadian infantry here. I never smoked a pipe back then but many cigarettes were smoked standing post or riding in ML's.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Lol I wonder if I can find a picture of me over there, I took a disposable camera but threw it away as I didn't want to remember that God forsaken desert. Luckily a few of my battle buddies took it upon themselves to be "combat correspondents" lol. I weighed 180 pounds when I got back from Iraq, stepped on the scale yesterday and was pushing 250 pounds lol. I didn't get to run any missions with the Canadians, I did however do some joint operations with the British guys and gals, they were a good lot. Pipes for vets is a brilliant idea in my opinion I believe some would really enjoy it. We would have to write a field manual on pipe smoking lol, fully illustrated with standard operating procedures. You got a man on the ground here in Arkansas if I can lend a hand, just let me know.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Aww, the Great General Puller. Full of great advice and quotes such as "Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America—because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race." and "They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can't get away from us now!"

A true warrior, and evidently a pipe smoker, I was unaware of that.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Blueyedogre What unit were you with? I was born and raised in Mississauga Ontario not far from Toronto. My dads American so I have the duelly citizenship lol. Anywhich way after 9/11 decided to go to NY state and enlist. What a journey it has been.
Deathandtaxes, where in Arkanasas are you at? For a short period of time I lived in whitehall AR. LOL I can envision the field manual now hahaahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.