PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sort of an ink blot test on how we feel about unconventional color on pipes. Would you buy it? Would you smoke it? Would you smoke it at a pipe club or pipe show? How do you feel about it? Is a little non-traditional color good, or annoying or disturbing?
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Genod/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=197922

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I like traditions, in general. One of the reasons I was drawn to the pipe in the first place is its long held tradition of facilitating intellectual thought and discution. So, I am more drawn to traditional pipes, or at least pipes that are not loud. Not to say a bit of colour is bad, but for me personally, I wouldn't buy it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm traditional as well, but I do love some color in stems, sometimes even blue or red ones depending upon shape.

Jun 4, 2014
I'm traditionalist as well. I do agree with Nate that a colored stem, depending on the shape and finish of the bowl can enhance a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just to weigh in on my own post, I might buy this color combination if the shape were unique (something I didn't have but liked very much) and the color really supported the shape. I have various billiard shapes, bent and straight, even one green stain, and several with colored stems, so this particular pipe wouldn't prompt me to buy it. I do have mostly black or dark stems, but I also have a few brighter ones, some with swirls, including Forever stems on MM cobs. So I wouldn't categorically nix this pipe, nor these colors, but it has to be the package that moves me.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
It would be a painful reminder of having once owned The Pipe! Somethings never leave your senses, so for me it's a hell no.

banjo

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's not my cup of (traditional) tea, but it's a lot less goofy and over the top than some of those Werner Mummert art-house abortions people have posted. If it were given to me as a gift, I would probably smoke it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Yes, you've got the The Pipe out there in a variety of colors. There is also the Dr Grabow line of Color Dukes and Viscounts. I'm not a fan of pipes that draw attention to themselves and stand out, at least not by flashy colors. It's just a personal preference. Peterson has done some nice pipes stained in a subdued forest green that I would wouldn't mind having.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It would have to be on a pipe by pipe basis, I like colored stems on some pipes and very rarely I like briar with a non-traditional stain color....very rarely! But I never like garish colors on stems or briar such as Werner Mummerts pipes, but that's why they make different pipes something for everybody's tastes.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I kind of like the pipe you linked, and would welcome it into my collection if someone gave it to me.
I was already contemplating my feelings on a line of pipes with odd color combination (although a bit more traditional than the Genod). The new Peterson Carlingford collection is black with green accents. It's a beautiful pipe, but not one I'd be comfortable smoking, and if I can't smoke it, why would I own it?

P&C's Peterson Carlingford collection

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I find that pipe a little dull. It might be coloured but not well and the shape has no life. I like colour in a pipe (mostly the stem) but it needs to have more than just that. I have a green Rattray Lowland pipe with black stem, another Rattarys with a yellow stem, and I own 3 Neerup pipes all with over the top swirl/ coloured stems. I have always liked Chris Askwith's pipes because of his use of colour (odd that I only own a black on black bent billiard of his?).

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I tend to like traditional shapes and stains but I don't mind some color on a pipe. I own a few pipes with colored stems or with green staining so I guess I'm not as traditional as some of you. And, yes I would smoke the colored pipes in any company.
Having said that, I really don't like the mixture of green and blue on the Genod in the link. It's one of those color combinations that is really painful to look at for me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think it's cool. I also really like the dress colors for the Al Pascia pipes.
Since when are green and blue together untraditional? Half the ol' farts at the club are dressed in blue and green plaid the other half are in pink.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's disturbing to me, but to each his/her own.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Non untraditional in the strictest sense of the word. Just not the classic shape and colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.