New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to meet with very... discerning people as a part of my business. Who would want to buy gemstones from someone wearing a T-shirt and flip flops? So, I try to dress nice for my patrons. I had never thought about the lingering smell of pipe tobacco before, but I did have one lady who complained back to my partner that I smelled like a huge cigarette, which I decoded as being an tobacco-nazi's way of interpreting my pipe aroma. My dominant tobaccos are Virginias and VaPers, so I guess it is sort of cigarettey.
Anyways, I used to wear Havana, which has a tobacco-like smell that I thought complimented the aroma of tobacco. My girlfriend said that it worked better to mask the smell of cigarettes in my clothes when I was a cig guy than it does the sweeter Virginias now.

I don't want to cover up the aroma with something heavy and noxious, just compliment it to downplay it, subtly. But, I was wondering if any of you paired your cologne with your pipe aroma?

What do you guys wear?

Jan 8, 2013
I generally let my pipe aroma serve as my cologne, but in your case, that clearly doesn't help. One suggestion, the only one I could come up with, was continue using what your using, but throw on a hat and jacket while smoking. That way they can catch the majority of the smoke, leaving your cologne a fraction of the work.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I actually avoid cologne entirely. It's an occupational hazard, but needing to use my nose and taste-buds all day means that cologne is a barrier to good work. I also don't smoke during the work-day and leave my puffing to evenings and weekends. Back when I was a pack a day guy I used to put on an over-shirt, jacket, coat and hat when I was smoking. This meant that most of the smoke collected on my outer-wear and then all it took was a wash of the hands, and face, and a quick tooth brush or mint and I was refreshed. Would that help you in this instance?
PS - I hope your estimate on the "tobacco-nazi's" work went up!
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scent can be tricky. I have a friend who wears way too much. The problem is, people have different sensitivities

to scent. Someone with a diminished sense of smell, trying to wear cologne, will put on way too much and make

of themselves a bubble of scent that is repellent to most other people. Older women can have a special problem

because they are used to wearing scent, but lose track of the amount that is pleasing to others, but an increasing

number of men have this same problem if they use scent regularly. To make this problem more than just an

annoyance, a significant minority of folks are sensitive enough that they experience sweating, dizziness, abrupt

mood changes, heart rate increase, etc. Many people who don't have this problem mock it, but it is very real.

Some people react naturally. Some people taking chemotherapy or other drug treatments have this as an induced

sensitivity. So, back to the question. I think most of the pipe fragrance (fragrance from my point of view, odor

to others) is being carried on your clothes. So to the degree that you can have clothes you wear for business but

not smoking, that will help a lot. If you have clothes that you can either machine wash or dry clean every wearing

or two, that will help. Breath mints and daily hair washing will likely also reduce the pipe smell. I wouldn't worry

about eliminating it altogether, just minimizing it. And I wouldn't try to mask it with scent, which just creates a

second, maybe more serious, human relations problem.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
It's a bit pricey, but try Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. It is amazing, smells like a nice cigar plus vanilla! Can't get enough of it and it's quite strong too.

- Lateef

I would enjoy just smelling like a fine VaPer, but...

I smoke at my workbench sometimes. I have a huge ventilation fan that pulls all fumes and particulate straight up and out of the building. I would hate to have to give up smoking at my bench. Maybe I could just chew some Red Man, LOL.
Thanks MSO, I usually just put a shot on my tie before heading out the door. My girlfriend wouldn't let me walk out the door with too much on.
Kalvort, I'll give that a try. I used to wear one called Raw Vanilla, which had a very natural smell to it, until it became impossible to find.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cosmic, I bet most of your clients enjoy the mellow tobacco smell and associate it with the interesting experience

of conferring with you on gem stones. In those cases where they look a little unsettled, if you could invite them

to an area where you don't smoke, even outdoors or out front with a fan or ventilation, that might offer a fall-back

position, to adapt to the individual customer. I consider a pipe shop aroma therapy. But I admit, some gift shops

and other places that hit me with a wall of popourri (sp?) make me gag. Same thing with cosmetic counters in

department stores. I don't break out in a sweat, but I do move quickly elsewhere. Those perfume samples in

magazines tweak my gag reflex slightly.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Year ago I had an insurance broker who smoked cigars in his car. He would try to hide the cigar odor on his hair and cloths using cologne. Actually, he reeked because he smelled like cigars and strong cologne. This insurance broker would have been better off not wearing cologne.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I sold fragrances for 25 yrs. stick to the classics. Their formulation has a higher percentage of essential oils and will last longer. Another tip would be to have two three and use them in rotation. After 72 hrs, our olfactory senses become accustomed to a certain smell. That's the guy or gal that reeks, they can't smell it anymore and just bathe on it. Any Gucci, Eternity, Davidoff, Perry Ellis. Some of the lower priced designer fragrances will not last long enough. Higher price certainly means higher quality in fragrances. Another tip would be to spray on the inside of a sports coat, the heat if your body will eventuate the notes. Remember, the top note will be wgat you first smell, but the heart and base note will give you the true scent.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Well, I don't think it masks the smell of tobacco (it would probably take way too much to do that) but it does complement it - and the name of the after shave is............... are you ready for it?
TABAC
It's German made, but available on Amazon. I've been using it for years, and it gets a nice reaction; just don't use too much - it's pretty potent.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Just For Him sells Bay Rum after shave, but that might make you smell like an alcoholic. They also offer Lime after shave; nobody doesn't like lime.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
While on a Bahamas cruise a couple of weeks ago, I bought a bottle of Hugo Boss. I don't know if it necessarily compliments my tobacco but the wife seems to like it.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
212 Sexy Men has a very strong tobacco base note, it might work to blend with your pipe tobacco flavouring. Paco Rabanne, Prada are also two that would fit the bill. Also try Marc Jacobs Man.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Polo Red, along with Polo Black seem to work well with pipe smoke. At least my lady says so. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.