Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
In the ’50s and ’70s, it was cool to smoke a pipe in college. It is again in 2012 too.
1-725.jpg

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
Ha! That's when I started. My buddies and I met every Friday after class to have cigars at the local shop. One day a room full of pipes and pipe tobacco caught our eye, and a few of us jumped on it. The rest is history...

Aug 14, 2012
Not a single person at my college in the 60s smoked a pipe excerpt me and a guy who bought one from me, but just used it to look cool, like Crosby.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
When I was in school a few years ago I didn't know anyone that smoked a pipe. Though when I go back to school next month for my second year parts course I will try to find more pipe smokers, maybe convert a few!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
My local university just went smoke free so you'll be hardpressed to find any pipe smokers there.
It isn't very fair for employees who can't smoke on their breaks or for students living in residence who have to leave campus at all hours of the night in order to smoke... Sad!

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Me too, late '70s in a pretentious attempt to look older, wiser, and sexier than I really was. :laughat:

typical98

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto
i never made it that far in school lol but in highschool my auto shop teacher smoked a pipe in class lol You could never smell it though with the autoshop smell over powering it. No one ever said anything either. Aparrently he was smoking it when he passed away. Crazy old chinese guy. When you asked him for help he would fix the issues without showing you how and when you asked him he would be on a very deep accent and say ancient chinese secret which would make you laugh till you realized he wouldnt show you how to fix it and wanted you to figure it out for yourself lol

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yep, I had a prof who smoked Palladin and about 6 of us would smoke Revelation in his class. We figured that if Albert E. smoked it we should. In the early 1970's there were a lot of pipe smokers on campus and we'd trade blends which were mostly OTC's. When I got into the Dunhill stuff it was a huge deal at school and guys were always bummimg off of me. Heady days for sure.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
Why I am the only one (I have never seen another pipe smoker..)who smoke pipe in my univeristy...... :crying:

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
For years, the smell of Mixture 79 would trigger memories of the student lounge at the local university branch I attended in the early 60's. Several guys would sit in the lounge smoking it, filling the air with the aroma. Back then, pipe smoking was a cool thing to do for college students.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I knew two pipe smokers when I was in college in the late '70s to early '80s, only one of whom was serious about it (besides myself). What was really cool was that I could smoke anywhere I wanted, including the classrooms, library, and dorm. Even better than that was the fact that I got a lot of dates because girls were very curious/interested about the pipe smoker, since I was only one bold enough to smoke in public. I learned to smoke two kinds of tobaccos: the one I liked the most and the one women liked that I could enjoy, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.