PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
Hi Forum Members, I hope everyone is going well.
I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago at the suggestion of Russ Ouellette and in that time I've been reading away.
Like many of you, I collect tobacco paraphernalia, but instead of collecting pipes, I focus on the packaging that the tobacco comes in (pouches, cigarette packets, tins etc). I was wondering if anyone here on the forums would mind collecting their empty packaging products for me, and I'd pay the shipping costs to get them over here to Australia?
I'm always on the lookout for pouches and packets, and wouldn't mind starting to collect tins either! Every item tells a unique story, so I'd be happy with multiples of the same if you only get one type of tobacco. The more in the collection, the merrier! :)
I'm not a smoker myself (therefore it's no use for me to import full products), and unfortunately, collecting in Australia isn't much fun these days - under our laws, all tobacco products are banned from having any colour, branding and advertising and are made from poor material. There's nothing left of the pouches that you can still buy overseas.
Thank you for reading!
Regards,

Mazzeh

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Great hobby for sure, Mazzeh. Unfortunately I don't have many pouches or tins, however I am sure that you will find lots of guys here that can help you. I know there are some who just throw away their empty pouches and tins. Welcome to the forum by the way.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
Hi jvnshr, that's great news to hear, I hope you're right. :)
Thank you for the warm welcome!
(I hope I posted this on the right sub-forum, too!).

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hi Mazzeh and welcome. I have boxes of empty tobacco tins if you're interested in them. Not selling them, gifting them for the cost of shipping.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
I have boxes of empty tobacco tins if you're interested in them. Not selling them, gifting them for the cost of shipping.
Hi mcitinner1, that's very gracious of you to offer - thank you! :)

Do you mind if I send you a private message shortly so that we can discuss?
Regards,

Maz

I love that you took the time to set up your account with a cool avatar and everything, just to get empty tins. I have stacks of a few tins, but they are multiples of the same ones, mostly Astleys 109 (boring tin design). And, I am guessing that you don't want 100's of the same ones. I save those mostly because I know a lady that makes purses out of them. But, I will start setting aside my more interesting tins for you. It doesn't take me long, if you will be on here for a while longer... I can also let my pipe club know. We have a few guys who buy quite a bit of the older tins at auction to try the aged tobaccos.

Feel free to PM me on here at any time.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have to agree with Cosmic, the fact that you set up a proper profile kept me reading the whole post. If I have some interesting empty tins in the future, I'll look for you again. I hadn't been saving them, but will definitely consider it now.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
Thank you for the kind replies Cosmic and crashthegrey! I thought I'd put in a little extra effort and try to get to know the lay of the land first. :)
I have to admit that these would be the first tins that I've ever collected, so I'm a little nervous and excited to see what they're like!
I'm getting a feeling that tins are what the majority of people on this forum get their tobacco in? I understand that they might have more intrinsic collector's value, since I see them on eBay for sale all the time, whereas in the pouch variety you only ever see leather pouches - which is not the kind I collect!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgi6hctzkd1itco/IMG_1090.jpg
The one on the left is how pouches (I'm not sure if there is another name for them) appeared here a few years back, before plain packaging laws. On the right is their lovely appearance now. As you can see, it pretty much destroys a hobby.
Does anyone here happen to get their tobacco in this type of packaging? Would love to talk to you!
Regards,

Mazzeh

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
There are a fair number of blends that still come in pouches. And in the US, the ridiculous labels haven't started yet. I have a pouch or two open that I will set aside for you when empty. Any of the guys who smoke codger blends will definitely have some around. Tins are definitely the majority, though.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
I appreciate that very much, crashthegrey, thanks! Let me know what you want for them. :)
I had to look up what you meant by codger blends... hah! I guess that's what I grew up around with my grandfather.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
That sounds awesome, thanks crash! :]
Russ was right, the people on this forum are really helpful and friendly. Thank you everyone who has messaged me or responded here so far!
If anyone around here regularly gets "codger blends" or pouches in general; or even has some laying around... please, by all means send me a message. I'd love to work a price or agreement out with you, rather than have them get tossed out. :)
Cheers for your time.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I love that you took the time to set up your account with a cool avatar and everything, just to get empty tins.
@cosmic is right, this is great
I just dumped a box off a on a friend last week, I'll get a few back and send you some pic's and send the ones you want

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
That sounds great pagan. Thanks!
I wish I knew how to thank all of you for your generosity helping with my collection. I really, sincerely appreciate it and wish there was a way to repay you. I wonder if there's some sort of rare Australian tobacco/tobacciana that you all might like. I'll look into it :)

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
Just wanted to update this thread to give thanks to mcitinner1 - he's sent me off a bunch of tins. Thanks mate!
Regards,

Mazzeh

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Yeah, just for the info. We are just bunch of people who love seeing pictures of pipes, pipe tobacco and pipe tobacco tins.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
Yeah, just for the info. We are just bunch of people who love seeing pictures of pipes, pipe tobacco and pipe tobacco tins.
Oh, I know! There will be pictures once they arrive. :)

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
Yesterday I received my first delivery from mcitinner1. Just a single tin, as he describes:

"...a single tin with a humorous name that is still sealed with it's contents."
The only type of tobacco I know has a humorous name is "Prince Albert", so I was surprised when I received "Cross-Eyed Cricket". This one is the first in my tin collection. =)
OYBTvS7.jpg

Fn5kGlz.jpg

Thanks Stan!

Status
Not open for further replies.