PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I live in Ohio, with Ohio Winter temps. I have a 35-40 minute drive home from work and almost always have a pipe on the drive. Being new to Meerschaums, I am wondering if they are more susceptible to cracking in cold temps. With my Briars, I warm them up a bit in my hands before lighting and smoking them. Is Meerschaum more or less likely to crack in the cold?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd say more. Just don't keep it in your car and then try to light up. Fill the bowl before leaving work, and torch it the minute you get in the car/truck.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I work in a state prison, so I can't even have the pipe with me at work. I usually fill the bowl and do the charring light before I go in. The pipe then sits in the car all day until I head home.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Never thought about it to be honest with you! I used to use my clay pipe to keep my hands warm in the winter after smoking it but I never had anything break due to cold. I did have a meerschaum snap off at the base of the bowl some years ago and I even posted on here about it but that was more of a design flaw and it was suspiciously 'newish' since it dated from the 1960s.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
How cold is ohio? I wouldn't be too worries if you warm up in the hands than take it slow so the pipe comes to hest slowly as the car warms up. It's the extremely fast temperature swings that cause issues. In the winter here I usually don't smoke a lot of my valuable meers until breakup. But I have shop meers that I smoke year round. When it's negative 40...that's a little brisk so it's briars in the car then.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
In January and February, temps are usually around 10-32 degrees Fahrenheit, but can swing much lower, often dipping below zero. Never as low as 40 below!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.