PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
When I first started smoking seriously about 13 years ago or so, I was really very excited about a batch of cobs I had purchased. I also bought some 1792, but that's another story. Anyway, The cobs were beautiful, 6 Country gentlemen, all partially bent. I loved the coloration and the simplicity. Once I finally lit one up it was really a very good, but short, smoke...I enjoyed it greatly. Unfortunately, I ran into some trouble. 3 of the six pipes had loose stems after just a few smokes in each, it seemed that the fitting and/or glue failed and they began to loosen, the fit of the stem where it meets the bowl was compromised. I was pretty disappointed to say the least and have steered away from cobs, mostly, for many years. Thinking this through, I figured it must have been poor luck since the company enjoyed a great reputation. Well, I smoke mostly briar pipes and they smoke just as well as any cob, but the lure of the cob is still very appealing.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Depending on where the pipes had been stored once they left the factory is something we, or the factory, have any control of. If the had been in a storage area where the heat was cranked to the max it's easy to see why glue would fail. The beauty of the cob is the shank can be reglued and back in service better than ever, Elmers white is what the factory uses but any good wood glue works.

banjo

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks Banjo...wish I had your advice all those years ago. :)
Booker,

I had read that 1792 was such a uniquely flavored and strong blend that investing in a cob to try it out might be a good idea instead of "ghosting" a more expensive briar pipe. So I had 4oz of 1792 bulk and it was one of my first forays into flake land. I dried out the tobacco and rubbed it out well and loaded my C.Gent and fired that stuff up. Wow, it was strong tobacco and that flavor profile was like NOTHING I had ever experienced. I could manage to get by the flavor, but not the strength of the tobacco. Like the novice I was I went at this too quickly and after 20 minutes was feeling dizzy and my mouth/throat was irritated. I had to put the pipe down and was starting to gag at that point. I dry heaved a couple times and when out of the bathroom I walked over, well tried to walk, and I pitched that vile 1792 in the trash. I didn't care about pitching 15 bucks worth of this tobacco, but I was upset to loose another pipe. Years later I tried Bracken flake and so loved the flavor but again it was too stout for me...yeah I got sick again. The only S&G product I will smoke now is squadron leader. I find S&G too much of a hassle to handle with the frequent relights, odd taste (IMO) of their different VAs and unique toppings. I know many love their S&G so there is now one less person buying it up...lol.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Just 3 days ago a brand new cob came apart on first bowl
2llfzau.jpg

May 4, 2015
I've never had that happen to me. Makes you wonder about different climates, storage, etc like was mentioned before. I'd pretend like I was in kindergarten, bust out the cow-head glue and fix her up. No worries.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I bought my first cob about eight years ago and I still smoke it. It's about as ratty-looking a pipe as you're likely to find, but the older it gets the sweeter it smokes. I have nine cobs in all, I smoke one every day, and I've yet to retire one. For me it's cobs in the daytime and briars in the evening.
Regarding cobs coming apart after a smoke or two, come on...it's a $5.00 pipe! Buy a bottle of quality wood glue and some wood putty and keep repairing the pipe until the bowl burns away. It's worth the effort.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
FWIW, I have cobs I have been smoking dozens of bowls through without that much darkening on the beveled part of the shank. I wonder if your smoking style might be putting a bit more heat on that shank than it can handle?

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
How hot does cob gets? Well, to be more accurate, how hot cob should not get. Sometimes it get hot to the point I am not comfortable holding it by the bowl. Tobacco too dry? I know I don't smoke too hard - I take a puff about every 30 seconds

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sounds like a packing issue if you're not freight-training it. I would try a gravity fill (or codger scoop) to the bowl rim, grab a small additional pinch, and press it down to level with the bowl rim. If it still heats up too much, adjust the pack from there, as gravity with with a slight additional pinch added is about as loose as a pack can get.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Radio, It was 13 years ago for me and I'm not complaining just telling a story about an odd, bad experience in my early smoking days. I think cobs are cool smoking, cool looking pipes and I think they would still sell well at twice the price.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Seadog: Sorry if I came off harshly, it certainly wasn't my intent. I'll do better next time :oops:. Anyway, cobs are one of those rare things where you get what you pay for, and at the same time you get more than you pay for. You get what you pay for: it's a cheap pipe that can require a lot of maintenance and repair. You get more than you pay for because a $5.00 pipe can last for many years and give you better smokes than many briars that cost several times as much. Just don't forget to buy a bottle of glue and a decent stem to replace the junk plastic ones that come with most of their pipes. - Jim

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Thanx for the compliment. The bike is a 2009 H-D Heritage Softail Classic. I can stay in the saddle all day and still be able to walk at the end of it all. My prior ride was a Sportster. Three hours on that thing would nearly cripple me every time. Fun to ride though. My son bought it, so I still get to ride it. Do you ride?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I have a couple of dozen cobs, some artisan, and have had one or two where the stem come loose. But a small smear of Elmer's All Purpose glue on the shaft and overnight curing fixed them right up. Total time of hands-on repair? Less than 60 seconds. In my experience, the MM Freehand smokes as good as any briar including some I have that cost 20x the cob.
I still smoke my briars because they offer another kind of experience but I'll never dis a cob (except the Chinese versions). I even have one a Tuxedo cob that Dave from WalkerBriarWorks made, which I smoke on formal occasions.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Radio,

I don't ride, but have always admired the fine craftsmanship.
Brass,

The freehand MM look really great and with a larger bowl I can imagine it gives you a good, long, cool smoke.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have about 20 cobs and smoked them a great deal this year, sporadically before, without a single problem.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One of my procrastinations is to experiment with filling in around the shank extension of a cob with plaster of paris. I've seen the posts, comments and youtube vids about doing just that, in order to accomplish both ease of clean out, and substantiating the bottom.

Pipe mud is most commonly used for the purpose and Aristocob has a specific product for this purpose.

I bought a boxed bag of plaster powder...but I haven't mixed any up and used it yet. Right now my main concern is that the stuff comes from our good neighbors and debt holders in China.

I'm sure that my nagging fear of some sort of self poisoning is a little paranoid. No? Yes?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jmill208...that is the concern I suppose. I've got a 4lb box of the stuff. Probably enough to treat about a thousand cobs...I know I won't be making any dinnerware....but, then...some do have a collection of their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.