PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I guess I haven't been too adventurous yet. I've come back to pipe smoking after a 26 year hiatus. Found a couple tobaccos I liked and one I didn't -- and stuck with them.
Picked up a cheap cob last week just for the heck of it and noticed a couple things I don't remember from way back when, like how pipes favor a tobacco, how they smoke differently in each. How you have to vary smoking technique a bit. I just don't remember doing that.
For instance, I found my cheap cob to be sort of picky. It prefers moister, wider shred tobaccos. Likes a denser pack. Anything else takes a lot of fussing in it and smokes too quickly. Stem and air flow difference? Bowl dimensions? Porosity? Dunno.
By contrast, my favorite freehand briar, though, so far, seems more forgiving. No matter which of the tobaccos, any way I want to pack it -- well, qualifying that by saying I don't range outside the norm of filling technique, really. But I can do loose or tight, and the briar is okay with it. Stays lit well. Might tamp once or twice during the smoke to flatten the ash and restrict it as it gets too airy in the middle and toward the end. That's it.
The cob on the other hand (or in the other hand: here in northern Minn. during the winter, pipe in each hand is a survival technique... one stuffed in each boot, maybe, too) ... Anyway, the cheap cob on the other hand, frequently requires finger-flueing and I just don't get to set the tamper down -- unless it's a moist dense tobacco fill. Then it's fine.
Now, the observation is incredibly limited, since I'd need to test other cobs and start comparing with my cheaper briars, make sure I'm filling them the same, etc.
*Easier* way is to sample you all's experiences. Do you find your pipes require different fill and smoking techniques or routines? Or is this observation of mine pretty isolated?
Pups

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Each pipe is an individual creation, even if it came out of a factory. Sounds like your favorite freehand briar is a magic pipe. Savor it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Every pipe has it's own personality, and must be treated as an individual. That being said, my packing technique may vary slightly from pipe to pipe, or blend to blend, but it's not a huge variation by any means.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
For instance, I found my cheap cob to be sort of picky. It prefers moister, wider shred tobaccos. Likes a denser pack. Anything else takes a lot of fussing in it and smokes too quickly. Stem and air flow difference? Bowl dimensions? Porosity? Dunno.
That's why cobs smoke aromatics and burlys really well! I love e'm for those types of tobaccos, they smoke e'm better than briars in my opinion. I think it's mostly just due to airflow, the cobs have a lot more than normal briars do.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I have a lot of cobs, and they even smoke individually different. Agree with the more than normal air flow for the cob.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Yeah, airflow was a big difference and explains a lot of it. Like, really have to clean it up well after -- and during -- and be careful when nursing it not to give it a BIG draw, or I'll get a mouthful of tobacco chad. Thats another reason, I think, the moister tobacco is more suitable. It clings a bit better to itself at the air pocket, rather than inching it's way out and then going airborne through the stem.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Course... it has not only a bigger bore into the bowl but that big cavity where the filter is supposed to go. In the see-through plastic stem, that sucker (no pun) just gets gross. Tossed it right away. So... now there's an extra chamber.
Hmm.... wonder if I should pack that, too? Double bowl? LOL
Oh.. should toss in, I stopped trying to smoke it down too much during a bowl. Just asking for ashes up the stem, then.
I'm going to pick up a couple more. I want to see the difference between this one or that one. And it matters, too, that I'm getting little Mo. Meerschaum cheapies. These are $5.99 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.