PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've been leaving three Washington cobs in my beater Tahoe that has to stay outside all the time. The super high temps inside it from sitting in the sun all closed up have caused the stems to be so loose they will just fall out of the shank. They were sitting on the passenger seat in direct sunlight for at least a month or more, so I'm going to stick a couple more inside the console to see how they hold up. Might have to go back to briars (stored in the console) for smoking and driving.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I have four cobs that I purchased within the last three weeks and the stems were loose on two of them.

The CG and the Diplomat.
I put a layer of my wife's clear nail polish around the tenon part, let them cure over night.

No more problems.

I tried the wet Q-tip/cleaner in the stumel to let the wood swell a bit and that helped but the wood dried out between smokes.

Hope that helps a bit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The heat may have just dehydrated the shanks. Run a damp Q-tip up the shank and see if the stems are tight again.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Beeswax, dammit! Beeswax! The nail polish will split the shank when it swells with moisture from smoking. Beeswax will simply absorb back into the shank, only to come back out again when the moisture goes away and the ambient heat increases. Try one with nail polish, and one with a coating of beeswax. The results will surprise you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even briars might get warped by heat. How about a Falcon? Seems like those little aluminum pipes are made for this job.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gorilla Glue, duct tape, and Phoenix tears! You guys are killing me! :rofl: Btw, I think Dunhill has the patent on the bailing wire. :mrgreen:

kb7get

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
Hose clamp.
SomeSortOfClamp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.